Surgery

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
So in less than a week I am going in for shoulder surgery at the Albuquerque VA. There are at least 3 good tears in there. The way they described it, they are gonna pretty much poke three holes in me and insert their micro-tools. They are gonna cut stuff and grind other stuff. Then they will put in some MRI-safe posts and use them as anchors to reattach everything. In my mind, I kind of picture a mess of wires behind an entertainment center that are all tangled. It's like straightening out what you can and cutting & splicing the wort of them all. By the time it is done it is like those wires are all neat and covered in plastic looms. The biggest drawback is I won't be allowed to even attempt to lift my empty paw for 6 weeks after. Then the physical therapy can start. Oh, and they told me the pain will be awful for a while after surgery too.

I share this with you, not for sympathy, but because I will probably be spending a lot less time online during recovery. Being a newer member, I didn't want you to think I went through a month-long fad and then went away, or that I got busted for making a fake squad car lol. I will try to pop in and update my status if folks seem concerned. Is it bad that I am really hoping my ¾" carbide tipped hole saw comes in the mail today so I can finish a custom bar before I go 10-7 for months? Getting bitten by the lightbar bug is a bite that never heals, apparently. XD

Reactions: Mattdecker

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
This is one of the few places where we understand and appreciate your description of the mess and the fix. lol

I hope surgery goes without a hitch and I hope the pain is not as bad for you as they make it seems. Mostly, I hope you'll get to use your arm again quickly. That would be the killer for me.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Best of luck.

Pain meds + eLightbars = Business as Normal.

Reactions: Jarred J.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Hope you have a fast recovery...that temptation to "just polish one dome" or whatever will always be there while you recuperate.
Good point. I have a bunch of beacons I need to remove from my bedroom so I am not tempted.
Best of luck.

Pain meds + eLightbars = Business as Normal.
Well I usually lean on my left elbow and type with my right paw. (Laptop is next to bed.) My right arm is gonna be slung and I am not allowed to raise it at all so typing is gonna be hard. I will try to figure something out though.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Well my hole saw didn't come in the mail so I'll probably be leaving my 70" jetstream sit through the holidays. :( I figured I would get some painting done on a beacon tonight, but it started raining as soon as I stepped outside. The powers that be seem to want me to leave my warning equipment alone for a while. :(

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Enjoy the pain meds!
I wish, but they already told me they are just going to give me a small amount of opiates to get me home. I've got a marijuana license and they are so scared I will mix them or sell them on the street. It's messed up. They don't understand that those of us that got a license jump through hoops to do things right.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
So my Pontiac broke down on the way to surgery and it ruined my day. I lost my temper and shattered the windshield with my fist. They are rescheduling my surgery for Sept 13.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
It's just frustrating that I have a nice Class B truck on my front lawn that's just begging to be worked on but I'm not allowed to mess with it yet. :(
00X0X_jm64AVKmcsq_1200x900.jpg

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
That's where I was headed with my post. Having a bum wing really takes standards off the plate for awhile. Not worth risking more injury.
It's great to hear that your recovery is smoother than you anticipated. Hope all goes well for ya. And good luck with your build. I'll be watching for that truck's progress.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I had my 6 week follow up a couple days ago. I am told that for the next 6 weeks I need to do mild/non-pained stretching and to not lift anything heavier than a 12oz can of soda. I specifically asked if I can paint. I got the green light as long as I promise not to overdo it. Hey, gotta paint a truck before I can mount a Jetstream on it. ;)

Reactions: StEaLtH2 and jph2

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.