2016 Chevrolet Impala Limited "Project Overkill"

Dave-O

Jun 11, 2010
Florida, USA
I was recently assigned this new to me/used 2016 Impala. The car itself is nothing special. Like I and a couple of other guys have done in the past, I have added a ridiculous amount of extra lights.

Here's what it comes outfitted with:
Whelen Liberty II, R/B (front), R/A/B (rear)
Whelen Vertex R/B in the headlights and reverse lights
Whelen HLF
Whelen 295SLSA6 controller
WeCan Universal Control Point Module

ai.imgur.com_V5VV83w.jpg
ai.imgur.com_uDac1s3.jpg

Here's what I added. Some of this stuff is from my old car, some is brand new:
-Front
  • Push bumper
Feniex Apollo 600 R/B with flood mode wired to takedowns
Feniex Apollo F12 R/B, B/W, R/B, R/W​
ai.imgur.com_bre7jua.jpg
ai.imgur.com_Kd3q4fg.jpg
ai.imgur.com_GMcMkSm.jpg_c81e728d9d4c2f636f067f89cc14862c.jpg

• Dash
Whelen Dual Avenger R/B​
ai.imgur.com_5jHGPGW.jpg

• Top Headliner
Federal Signal Viper S2 R/B​
ai.imgur.com_ObvjwCA.jpg

• Sides
Sound Off N-Line rocker panel lights R/B
Whelen Ion R/B​
ai.imgur.com_Z5YeSvE.jpg
ai.imgur.com_5I9z9Qm.jpg

• Rear Top
(2) Whelen Dominator D4 RRBB​
ai.imgur.com_vpGP1zP.jpg

• Rear Deck
Feniex Apollo 800 R/B​
ai.imgur.com_zLHIqRZ.jpg
ai.imgur.com_x22UMlF.jpg

• License Plate
(2) Whelen LINZ6 R/B​

Inside I added a Feniex 4200 controller. I could have run everything off of the 295, but I wanted cruise lights and a couple other functions for the lightbar, such as low power, cruise lights, and steady flash. Now I can control the extra lights separately. Another side note, mode 3 on the 295's slide switch also activates the faster patterns on the Feniex products, and adds the white flashing as well. I also took some liberty (get it?) in changing the lightbar patterns for each mode (mode 1 is slow flashing rear, mode 2 is slow flashing front and rear, mode 3 is fast flashing) and changed the takedowns to light the entire front of the lightbar. To me, the stock takedowns were not sufficient.

Controller
ai.imgur.com_ftrPmUO.jpg
Cruise lights
ai.imgur.com_l4SZrP5.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg
Steady Flash
ai.imgur.com_UA1Br48.jpg

Here's a couple videos:
Mode 2

Rear Window of mode 2

Mode 3

Feel free to add your critiques or tell me how ridiculous it looks. Enjoy!

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Ridiculous yes. That being said I think you did an overall great job of syncing everything so the purple effect is minimized and it sounds like you can pick and choose what lighting is on when...

Take it to the next level with running those D4's and Apollo 800 off a single flasher so they're synced or better yet syncs them off the liberties Wecan board. That would add some wow factor over what you've already done.

For overkill, I think you did great!

Stay safe!
Seth

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I know that it's supposed to be "overkill," but I really wish you had skipped the front and rear headliner vipers and dominators b/c I think they're silly to have mounted 1" below a Libby II. Hands down I would've sold those to get my hands on some intersectors for the mirrors.

I really like the large solid blocks of red and blue on mode 2, particularly the all red/all blue flash pattern on the rear Apollo stick

Reactions: proudfirefighter

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
Needs a covert, low-profile dash light. Perhaps, something like a FS Aerodynic--yes, mounted on the dash as a dash light!!! That would complete this build in my opinion.
Unless....
You could add two FS Streethawks--stacked atop each other--on the rear window deck.
You'll need to add a trailer hitch & trailer carrying several batteries like something JDI would manufacture. Or you could add a few of these alternators:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 49

Dave-O

Jun 11, 2010
Florida, USA
I know that it's supposed to be "overkill," but I really wish you had skipped the front and rear headliner vipers and dominators b/c I think they're silly to have mounted 1" below a Libby II. Hands down I would've sold those to get my hands on some intersectors for the mirrors.

I really like the large solid blocks of red and blue on mode 2, particularly the all red/all blue flash pattern on the rear Apollo stick
Thanks! I like the solid patterns better than the purple blur. I actually have some Intersectors from my old car. I haven't put them on because they were such a PITA to put on the first time.
Needs a covert, low-profile dash light. Perhaps, something like a FS Aerodynic--yes, mounted on the dash as a dash light!!! That would complete this build in my opinion.
Unless....
You could add two FS Streethawks--stacked atop each other--on the rear window deck.
You'll need to add a trailer hitch & trailer carrying several batteries like something JDI would manufacture. Or you could add a few of these alternators:
Ughhh....I'm getting flashbacks to my first cruiser back in the great state of Alabama...a 92 Caprice with a StreetHawk.

Reactions: NVFD612

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Needs a whelen flat lighter on the visors

Whiskey 6

Jun 3, 2016
Eastern Utah
Overkill? Well, you achieved it. Your car looks great. I question the application of so many bright lights though. That many lights would be good for a day shift squad or a parade car. But for most nighttime applications, forget about it. Too many lights are a hazard at night. Unnecessarily blinding yourself (on traffic stops), other motorist and other first responders. I am retired LEO and I will share an experience. One of my officers was doing traffic control at a nighttime accident scene on an unlit hwy. He had all his LED lights activated as he stood in the roadway directing the occasional vehicle. Fire arrived on scene and the officer waved them through. Because of all bright LED lights, it was very difficult for Fire, (or anyone) to see him. That truck ding-dang-near hit that officer. We narrowly avoided a tragedy that night. At night, less is more. Just something to consider. Again, your car looks great and the install looks clean. I’m sure I, “Overkilled” my response. Sorry. Be safe brother.

Dave-O

Jun 11, 2010
Florida, USA
I have the option to turn all of the extra lights off, only turn some on, put the lightbar in low power, only use the cruise lights, etc. I usually turn everything off except for the cruise lights when I get to a scene unless I'm parked in traffic.

Reactions: Whiskey 6

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I wonder how your department came up with blue on the driver's side. It seems some other FL departments follow that format, also.

Reactions: crt6mrt-265

Dave-O

Jun 11, 2010
Florida, USA
I've wondered that too, but it's been that way since we switched from all blue to red/blue in the early 90's. I'd like to see us go back to all blue like most of the other S/Os in Florida.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Everything is fine the only thing triggering my OCD is that it says Sheriff and then it says POLICE in the back lol.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I think for there being so much additional lighting, you did a great job syncing most of them and minimizing the purple-blur effect. The other great thing I like is that Ram you have sitting next to your cruiser! Good choices all the way around lol

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I've wondered that too, but it's been that way since we switched from all blue to red/blue in the early 90's. I'd like to see us go back to all blue like most of the other S/Os in Florida.
When my first PD switched to red/ blue, they kept blue over the driver's side so it would be directly behind the driver during a traffic stop. The theory was it would be the first color seen by the driver.

Dave-O

Jun 11, 2010
Florida, USA
Everything is fine the only thing triggering my OCD is that it says Sheriff and then it says POLICE in the back lol.
Ha! We're consolidated here so we're both city police and county deputy sheriffs.

I think for there being so much additional lighting, you did a great job syncing most of them and minimizing the purple-blur effect. The other great thing I like is that Ram you have sitting next to your cruiser! Good choices all the way around lol

Thank you sir!
ai.imgur.com_UOfto22.jpg

When my first PD switched to red/ blue, they kept blue over the driver's side so it would be directly behind the driver during a traffic stop. The theory was it would be the first color seen by the driver.
Sounds logical!

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
Yeah I'm just over here drooling about that truck. Don't mind me. ..

Dave-O

Jun 11, 2010
Florida, USA
Thanks fellas...I love the Ram even though I only drive her a few times a month. I was originally going to get the Ranch Hand headache rack, but you have to buy bed rails with it. The Magnums are no-drill, a little cheaper, and look just as good (IMO).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.