Differences between these 5 strobe power supplies?

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
What are the differences between these strobe power supplies?
I'm unable to find the wattage for these units, so if you know the wattage please let me know (note: I searched here on eLB & Google but couldn't find anything on the two Galls power supplies).
Also, are these considered 'decent' strobe power supplies or 'junk' as far as reliability & flash patterns. I have some old strobe heads I plan to mount on my collection display shelves & want to use the supply that has the best longevity.

1. Galls GR173.
2. Galls GR229.
3. Whelen/Austin Elec VPPS6C.
4. Whelen "SL6" from an older Edge bar (01-0268033-00 Rev. K-D, SN 48464).
5. FedSig Ricochet 6 head, model 413106 series A1.

Thank you for any input!

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
All are decent. The Galls units are made by Whelen.

Really, the only big consideration is that Federal uses a different pinout for their strobe equipment than everyone else.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
JMHO, Whelen perfected their strobe power supplies long before FedSig. I don't have any hard numbers but in full sunlight Whelen power supplies seemed brighter and the Whelen supplies lasted longer than the FedSig strobe power supplies. When the GSA KKK standard was what we used for spec'ing ambulance lights, the Whelen strobe packs would meet the candula output specs and FedSig couldn't meet it. Not bashing FedSig, their halogen lightbars smoked the halogen Whelen lightbars. Now that all new lightbars/lighting packages are LED, there all so close I can't tell a difference.

HCSO249

Jul 17, 2016
MISSOURI
I made it a rule not to sell any supply that wasnt running at very minimum 15w per head unless they just wanted something else. The point is to be seen and the 6 head 60 watt that were popular around here sucked. You couldnt see HAW in taillights in the sunlight and at night the parking lights were as bright. I personally only use minimum of 20w per head on my POV for all strobes. Ive been very happy with every brand of supply though regardless of brand name.

Reactions: Lightbarnut

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
I made it a rule not to sell any supply that wasnt running at very minimum 15w per head unless they just wanted something else. The point is to be seen and the 6 head 60 watt that were popular around here sucked. You couldnt see HAW in taillights in the sunlight and at night the parking lights were as bright. I personally only use minimum of 20w per head on my POV for all strobes. Ive been very happy with every brand of supply though regardless of brand name.

So for a 4 outlet PS, what should the total wattage of the supply be?

HCSO249

Jul 17, 2016
MISSOURI
So for a 4 outlet PS, what should the total wattage of the supply be?

Using easy math total watts divide by number of heads. 60w divided by 6 heads = approximately 10watts per head...like looking thru pee hole in snowbank.
80w or 90w for 4 head. Able2 makes nice little potted 2 head 40w unit that I love for corner strobes. Bright in day and Holy Lord @ Night!!!

addendum: I have used Code3 75w 4 head supplies and had great results but the Nova's, Sound-Off & Able2's all in that 20w range all rocked in day & night and usually bit cheaper than Whelen. Didn't matter if HAW was in tail light competing with brake or tail lamp they showed up very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lightbarnut

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The GR229 is a 60-watt power supply: http://web.archive.org/web/20060508...ategory2.html?assort=general_catalog&cat=2716

I cannot find anything right away regarding the GR173 besides a photo of the label. [Broken External Image]:http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/docviewer/aucdoc/100_1938.JPG?auc=739446&docid=5363507

However, 12.8 volts at 6 amps yields 76.8 watts. I'm not sure how much loss they account for. I would hope this power supply is rated at 10 watts per head, or 60 watts overall. It wouldn't surprise me if it was advertised as 12.5 watts per head, or 75 watts overall.

Reactions: HCSO249

HCSO249

Jul 17, 2016
MISSOURI
Yep that would be my guess around 60 to 75. Ive rarely seen any 6 head units run over the guestimated 10w per. But most everybody has an 8head 180w which we did a full unmarked HAW, dash grill & rear deck. WOW that was awesome in the sun but too much at night. And had no dim feature! Luckily he could shut down some of them

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.