Design help for 2007 Chevy Avalanche

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
Hello everyone. First off let me say this site is GREAT!!! I own a 2007 Chevy Avalanche that is my Security installation and service vehicle. I am in need of an amber lighting setup for this vehicle due to having to conduct service in public areas to include parking lots. I don't have any experience in this field but I do have experience in wiring so I plan on doing the installation myself. I am thinking of either two dash lights mounted high or a visor bar along with an amber bar mounted on in the rear window. Some sort of amber lighting behind or on the grill and amber lighting around the license plate. I cannot decide if I want to amber bar mounted inside the rear window vehicle or outside. I looked at the Feniex mini 4200 controller to control everything. The vehicle has the standard factory blue tint at the top of the windshield and the rear window has factory tint also. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I don't have a huge budget but can upgrade to better stuff as time goes on. I'm looking for reliable bright lighting.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Welcome! You will find all the help you need here.

I'm sure others will echo my suggestion. First and foremost: don't overdo it.

You're looking to be conspicuous in doing your work. Keep in mind that you won't be busting intersections or responding anywhere. In your case, a simple setup is best.

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
Yes, I want to keep it simple. Just something in the front and something in the rear. I just want effective and reliable gear. I looked at AWL's site and their gear seems to get good reviews on here and has a 5 year warranty. I looked at their Venom 4.0 Visor bar and an Axis Plus 600 for the rear. Controlled by the Feniex mini 4200. Do you guys think I need more than that?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
To be honest, a minibar gives you the best bang for your buck for providing 360 degrees coverage when you have a limited budget. However, I understand that not everyone wants one on their roof.

An AWL Venom and Axis is a good basic package. Just remember, as with any universal lightbar, they will usually require modification to the brackets and flashback shield (and that isn't even a guarantee), so be prepared for that. Tom, the owner of AWL, has a very good rep here for standing behind his products. The one drawback is that the Axis (if I recall correctly) doesn't have traffic advisor patterns; if you don't need them, then forget I mentioned it. If you have a toolbox in the bed, it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider adding a linear lighthead (i.e. Feniex Fusion 180 optic) on each side for side warning.

If you want to add grill lights and rear LP lights later, that's fine, but I would not go beyond that b/c anything more is unnecessary IMO.

And yes, the mini 4200 is a great little controller.

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
Thanks for the advice PDK9. I've decided to just do two Feniex Fusion 2X dash lights in Amber mounted up high in my Front windshield with a Feniex 400 bar in the rear window in amber. I do not have a toolbox as the Avalanche has the hard removable panels that cover the bed. For the sides, maybe two Feniex Fusion Amber 40 degree surface mounts on my running boards. One toward the front and one toward the rear for side warning. With everything controlled by the Feniex mini 4200.

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
Question about the mini 4200. I noticed that it has 6 outputs at a max amperage of 3.5 amps per output. The Fusion 2x's run at 1.5 each so that's 3 amps total. The Fusion 400 bar also runs at 3.0 amps. For those two channels, should I be concerned about being so close to the .5?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
For the running boards, if u do go that route, I recommend the 180 optics b/c you want off-axis spread (as you would want with any perimeter lights). The more-focused 40 optics are better suited for rear window lights to punch through tint.

If u want some step lighting, you can order Amber/clear fusions for the running boards and program them to steadyburn when the doors open.

As for the amp draw of the LEDs, they are so small that you shouldn't worry about overloading outputs. 1 amp really is nothing

Reactions: Blake

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.