Peterson 757 Remake

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I picked up a Peterson 757 about a year ago. It is a 4 light beacon, same as the North American Signal 400. In fact it is likely a rebadged NAS 400. It had a yellow dome and I recently decided it needed an upgrade. It is actually one of my favorite beacons even with the amber dome. So I decided to make it even more of a favorite. Tell me what you think.

Here is the before
DSC_0748-ps (Small).jpg

And a video to show the after... because....what's better than a video?

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Those blue bulbs are the original 4416 bulbs that were in the light when I picked it up. I used Testors Transparent Spray paint to color them. They have 6 light coats on them. I think they look great !

Testors Spray.jpg

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Looks great. I'll have to try the blue Testors paint on a clear bulb. Thats got to be cheaper then buying the 4416B bulbs.

The blue worked fantastic. I also tried the red and although it did pretty good, it is not as transparent. It is in the video of my Sig Stat 312 on here somewhere. I tried the Krylon Stained Glass paint and it did very well, but comes out more purple than blue. This Testors is the same color as my Federal 17 blue dome and I am thrilled with the outcome.

That paint is in the model section of Hobby Lobby.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I think they make more then one blue color. Do you have the Item or Part# for this blue?

1257 Gloss Transparent Blue

Any issues with the paint flaking, etc with the light operating for a length of time?

I have had no problems at all. I have a bulb I painted red probably 7 or 8 months ago and I turn it on frequently and have had no problems.

You can see the Sig Stat in this video

DSC_0249 (Medium).JPG

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Very cool idea! I just got a clear domed Code 3XL with two red bulbs and 6 clear bulbs. Was thinking of adding some blue and this may just be the ticket.

Reactions: BSO_NS

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I tried the Krylon Stained Glass paint and it did very well, but comes out more purple than blue

I usually use the Krylon Stained Glass and only do 3 coats then let set for 2 days. They come out quite well. That's what I've got in my AeroTwinSonic and they work awesome.
ai246_photobucket_com_albums_gg82_Mercer36_Light_20and_20Siren_20videos_th_FedSig24RQATS_mp4_.jpg

Same thing with the Testors Trans Blue paint. 3 coats, 2 days drying. Testors also has a Transparent Green and that is also at Hobby Lobby.
http://www.hobbylobby.com/p/1601T-Green-Testors-Spray-Enamel/p/34653
I've made several green bulbs for the trucks for the Fire Academy of North Dakota and they turned out well. The big thing is to use clear coat after the bulbs fully dry to protect the paint from the elements. They are in-service use as well.

Last edited:

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Cool beacon but the NAS 400's had the 11" diameter, non-polished, aluminum base. The 150/200/300 had the 8" base in polished stainless, like yours. Not to say Peterson didn't order-up something like that from NAS but their 4-beam bulb holder (I don't think) would have fit under that 8" dome. The 4WFSS with its bulb-holder cage (from the model 400) barely fit under those and would have caused an interference issue w/ the inside of the dome when rotating. AND, NAS's domes were never rounded like yours. That may have been a borgaschmord of someone else's design such as Do-Ray whom had a 4-beam beacon just like that with a rounded dome! Just thinking...

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Cool beacon but the NAS 400's had the 11" diameter, non-polished, aluminum base. The 150/200/300 had the 8" base in polished stainless, like yours. Not to say Peterson didn't order-up something like that from NAS but their 4-beam bulb holder (I don't think) would have fit under that 8" dome. The 4WFSS with its bulb-holder cage (from the model 400) barely fit under those and would have caused an interference issue w/ the inside of the dome when rotating. AND, NAS's domes were never rounded like yours. That may have been a borgaschmord of someone else's design such as Do-Ray whom had a 4-beam beacon just like that with a rounded dome! Just thinking...

The NAS used the 400X-33X dome, which is actually the Stratolite 77. I ordered the clear dome I have from NAS and they sent the Str. 77.

Here is the specs on the 400.

NAS 400.JPG

All the Peterson 757's that I have found, and I have only found two more, had the same dome.

Different 757
Different 757.jpg
NAS 400
NAS Vint.JPG

The Do-Ray is very simular as well and uses the same 77 dome
Do-Ray.JPG

Reactions: JohnMarcson

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The typical North American has a slightly different dome retaining band, wider at the top, and screwed in with 3 screws from the top. The light in question may have a narrower profile band to accept a slightly wider dome? Or, maybe not a NA 250-A.jpg ?

Last edited:

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
That diagram IS the 400 series and the photo IS the 150/200/300 series.

My point/issue is, that although NAS made MANY of Peterson's lights over the years, the domes on skulldigger's beacons ARE NOT NAS's domes, even though the rest of it looks identical to their beacon (except the bulbholder, of course). Which leads me to believe the beacon's are Do-Ray's and NOT NAS's OR Peterson did a little combining of their own...

I'm going to have to dig-out my old catalog binder and find the Do-Ray catalog...

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
View attachment 160877 The typical North American has a slightly different dome retaining band, wider at the top, and screwed in with 3 screws from the top.

the diagram shown below the amber beacon toward the top of post #14 does appear to be that of a NAS 400X.

That diagram IS the 400 series and the photo IS the 150/200/300 series.

My point/issue is, .

Well that may explain a few things and my confusion. That image is what they sent me from NAS when I was trying to order a dome. They sent me the wrong one the first time. They sent me a 250-33X the first time and it was supposed to be 8.25", when it arrived it was only 7-7/8". I contacted them and this is what they said:

"Yup, I gave you the wrong part # below, it should have been the 400-33R, let me see if I have one and I’ll ship it to you.

Can you give me the Sales Order # or your customer # off of the Packing Slip?

''''''Name removed'''''
Director – Sales & Marketing
North American Signal Co.
605 S. Wheeling Road
Wheeling, IL 60090
Toll Free: 877-246-6274"

What they sent is the Stratolite 77, which doesn't appear to be a fit for a 400... so who knows.. what happened but I got a dome that fits my light so I was happy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.