colored gel sheets

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
these are easy to cut with a blade i can only imagine whats possible with a straight edge shear. had two scrap pieces so i stuck them on the cj just for fun. static holds the sheet just fine.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Where can you find blue 69 gel sheet at online? I don't think the local music stores in Bismarck will carry that stuff regularly. I do like that idea for clear lensed lights though! Very cool.

Last edited:

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
im waiting for the place i got mine from its called B&H audio and video in manhattan. they said they will be ordering more blue 69 aswell as other colors amber,red and yes green. they even set me up with a 50 watt par36 in the store to check true color. they were more then helpful. the co. that makes the gel sheets claims over 2000 different color hues so im sure they will have it covered. will try and get the co. name but im sure they only deal in large quantities.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Ken, you gotta be careful with online purchases of that stuff. The colors and hues everyone might be after, need to be seen in-person as well as the mil thickness. Another issue with the gel papers are the quality. Lastly, because of the sheer number of hues available, one or two numbers off, and you'll be stepping into the pinks or oranges with a red sheet or amber and when applied to a different light source than what's in the store, you may get undesired results in front of a halogen or incandescent light source than what you originally guessed. It's always best to get a few different sheets on either side of you desired choice to "test the waters" of your different applications to get the EXACT color you desire. Trust me, this comes from years of utilizing gel papers to change light colors (back in the day). One other issue is that one manufacturers "true blue" or "true red" isn't always the same as the next guy's...

Reactions: lenny77

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
im 100% on the above statement.. there are literally millions of factors when you want an exact color. thats why i buy face to face. heres a tip good gels are not so cheap..

Reactions: 894

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
"gels are not so cheap..."

Boy, they always used to be but that was 20 years ago or better...

Plastics have all gone up I suppose... I remember paying 6 or 7 dollars for a 36" square sheet. What are they up to now?

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
ok ...so who's going to start donating some all clear aero sections or domes. wish i had two all clear 5 panel. would love to try a ghostbusters aero. show those Hollywood fools how to properly pay respect to ecto. and kick that... that .. thing so far back to what ever level of hell it came from. Ok im good. im good.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
well the place i got it from is not known for being the lowest priced but, two 30 inch sheets came to 30. still mere pennies when compared to new domes. and again these are displayed Not In Service bars.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This is really the only way to make a green aerodynic without colored bulbs.

894 is correct...theatrical lighting gels are available in thousands of colors and hues (I, too, am from the era of cheap gel sheets). Most theatre lighting designers have their own color chart that resembles a color chip blotter from a paint store. Having said that, a good theatrical supply company can send you sample scraps of lighting gels before you buy. Best part is the gels are designed to withstand the heat of a theatrical light...very hot! Downside to all this, like emergency lighting, theatrical lighting is going digital as well, so gels will eventually disappear like colored par 36s.

Reactions: StEaLtH2
Jun 18, 2013
PA
So are you affixing these on the inside or outside of the dome?
I am assuming Inside.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
mine are placed inside the bar, hence the clear joints between sections. but you can still fill in the joints with thin strips if you want.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Leave it! Reminds me of the Mars Effect--the flash on the Mars domes with clear between the color inserts.
Someone should take a Spectra or Skybolt clear dome and put multicoloured inserts (i.e. red, yellow, blue and green) in it and make a video of it.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.