Question about Miami PD Unmarked Charger with screwup install

TactMedic

Oct 31, 2016
Canada
Hi there,

I watched this Miami PD Vlog Video :

Around 6:30, we can see the flip visor light (maybe a flatlighter) installed with tie wraps, around 8:05 we can see also two slimlighters and a lot of wires and looms running directly on the dash. The same thing for the deck lights that seem to be 2 single avengers and 1 dual. At 14:45 we can also see a three switch power outlet that seems to power the lights.

This is the first time in my life I saw an install like this ... Is it common in the US to install the lights (and probably the siren/laptop) like this ?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Looks like a specialty/investigative unit. It is not uncommon to only temporarily mount lights when needed then to remove them for daily use of the vehicle so it still maintains a low profile. Several investigators in agencies around here do similar things.

Reactions: TactMedic

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Hi there,

I watched this Miami PD Vlog Video :

Around 6:30, we can see the flip visor light (maybe a flatlighter) installed with tie wraps, around 8:05 we can see also two slimlighters and a lot of wires and looms running directly on the dash. The same thing for the deck lights that seem to be 2 single avengers and 1 dual. At 14:45 we can also see a three switch power outlet that seems to power the lights.

This is the first time in my life I saw an install like this ... Is it common in the US to install the lights (and probably the siren/laptop) like this ?

Miami has an upfitter that does all their patrol vehicles (mostly NGPIs nowadays). A lot of law enforcement agencies in Florida used seized vehicles for unmarked/covert vehicles (since the bad guys know that there's a good chance that an unmarked crown vic is probably a LEO), and one dept in my county even leases vehicles from hertz so that they can regularly change the vehicles used for unmarked vehicles. Quick, non-permanent lighting mounting (zip ties and suction cups) is not uncommon, b/c many of these vehicles will likely be auctioned in the future & swapped out

Reactions: Tony P

vg78

Aug 5, 2012
South Florida
Many agencies here in South Florida use rental vehicles for undercover work (typically rented for 6 months or sometimes up to a year). It allows agencies to rotate vehicles often, but means equipment can't be permanently installed.
Some rental companies require window tinting to be removed, some don't.

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
A lot of Florida agency vehicles are take homes, allowing a certain degree of "freedom" to the officer beyond standard installed gear. Whether it is actually allowed per agency policy I don't know, but one would assume it is loosely regulated.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
A lot of Florida agency vehicles are take homes, allowing a certain degree of "freedom" to the officer beyond standard installed gear. Whether it is actually allowed per agency policy I don't know, but one would assume it is loosely regulated.

Many agencies in south Florida strictly don't allow adding any exterior lighting (so an officer can add front windshield or rear deck lighting) and some allow adding external lighting only after the request has been approved (typically PB and LP lighting) on their marked takehome units. This charger in the OP is clearly not one of those cases though, and is definitely a temp use vehicle

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.