911ep equivalent flash patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt. Dino

May 24, 2010
Georgetown, USA
Hey ELB-

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I'm back and have a new vehicle to light up. I've done some searching on the forums but can't find an answer. Since 911ep went kaput, does anyone make LED flashers with similar patterns? If you watch the YouTube video below, the very first pattern is the one I'd love to have. If you guys have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
Sound off is going to bring it back? Love the 911ep patterns, would pay a lot of money if someone would make a flasher with their patterns

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Sound off is going to bring it back?
Negative. They no longer have rights to the name, IIRC. Member "Mort" was one of 911ep's original employees and has recently talked about bringing the brand back with new ideas. I have yet to hear or see concrete plans of that though.

As for the patterns, I do believe they are trademarked or patented or some legal mumble jumble that makes them proprietary.

Reactions: HCSO249

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
Negative. They no longer have rights to the name, IIRC. Member "Mort" was one of 911ep's original employees and has recently talked about bringing the brand back with new ideas. I have yet to hear or see concrete plans of that though.

As for the patterns, I do believe they are trademarked or patented or some legal mumble jumble that makes them proprietary.

Ah gotcha thanks. Whom are the patterns proprietary to? If soundoff let the rights go to the name would they not have also released the rights to the flash patterns?

PanHandleStan

May 20, 2010
FL
have a feeling sos just wanted the customers. they did absolutely nothing else with 911ep. Im sure everything went to the new guy. heard it will be rolled out slowly

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas

I REALLY am hoping this comes to fruition soon.

Lt Dino, your best bet right now is to find you one of the TDWL sticks, or even the older sticks for that matter to achieve that particular pattern. That was one of the ones they kept through all of their product lines, except the Galaxy, TD, and the Stars I believe. All of the LS12, WL, and TDWL bars had it.

-Drew

Reactions: Tony P

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
What are you looking for specifically? The slow fade back and forth, or with the double flash as well?

When I say specifically, I do mean specifically as I have reviewed the flash pattern, frame by frame. The shutter speed of the camera used might be causing some frames to be missing, so the pattern doesn't dissect well in the video.

If you know who we are, then you'll know we can do what you're asking.

Tony

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
What are you looking for specifically? The slow fade back and forth, or with the double flash as well?

When I say specifically, I do mean specifically as I have reviewed the flash pattern, frame by frame. The shutter speed of the camera used might be causing some frames to be missing, so the pattern doesn't dissect well in the video.

If you know who we are, then you'll know we can do what you're asking.

Tony
TRIPLE ROTATOR FTW!!!!!!!

I can't find (will have to make a longer video) of the Triple Rotator pattern.

Starting @ 2:17

Mort

May 18, 2016
Phoenix
Ah gotcha thanks. Whom are the patterns proprietary to? If soundoff let the rights go to the name would they not have also released the rights to the flash patterns?
Sound off never had the rights they had an agreement to use them. Armor Holdings which is now called Safariland Products, still owns the trademark and all those rights.

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
All of 911ep stuff is guarded by patents making it not able to be replicated without permission. SOS never owned any of 911ep, just a marketing and sales agreement.

Reactions: Mort

Mort

May 18, 2016
Phoenix
Ah interesting. So we need to get safariland to get on it then
I have been working with them for over a year and they are not interested in doing anything with that company. it is locked away soundly and will [probably remain there for years to come. They have already won Hugh amounts of money on companies infringing on their patents, not sure I would take them to task. I put in a lot of hours when I was there helping with legal to prepare for all of those lawsuits

Reactions: got_yogurt

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
Ah that's lame... I wonder why they wouldn't just accept royalties to use some of the patterns. Don't all patents expire after 20 years? Must be getting close to that now

Mort

May 18, 2016
Phoenix
Ah that's lame... I wonder why they wouldn't just accept royalties to use some of the patterns. Don't all patents expire after 20 years? Must be getting close to that now
They are renewable and they did it in 2014. they are still being paid by several companies that they got settlements from and as long as they are owed money the patents will be enforce. they do expire but live longer when someone infringes on them and there are lawsuits from it. I am one of the original people in that company and I know who they sued and how much they got. Besides they are owned by BAE now so that even makes it worse because you are dealing with the UK to have conversation with them.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
How can anybody trademark a flash pattern? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm not saying any of you are lying, but that just doesn't make sense. For example, if I made an LED lightbar, the LED modules are going to have to be set to flash. Am I going to have to pay the first company to release an LED lightbar because I want my lightbar to flash?

I wonder if 911EP, or whoever they are now, had to pay all the other lightbar companies for replicating the flash rotating lightbars would make.

What a strange thing to be able to trademark, or own the rights to, a flash pattern.

Mort

May 18, 2016
Phoenix
First off it isn't a trademark on the pattern, the name they were called is trademarked. The flash patterns are very easy to PATENT. Sound Off did it with there headlight flasher. (they were the first to patent any flash patterns in the lighting industry) that Patent was about how many flashes per second the unit could do. Which I believe it was based on a 1.4 second rate. Patterns can be done the same way, Functionality is how they get patented. Don't believe it go to the US Trademark and Patent web site and look them up. If you want the flash patterns go for it, it will only cost you if you get caught, and chances of that are maybe slim. but you never know who is watching that stuff. When Armor Holdings sued everyone over the infringements, they had 5 people covering the country looking for product that was infringing.

Mort

May 18, 2016
Phoenix
To add to what I have already said and answer the question you posed, most lighting companies do not patent flash patterns, now. When we did it the LED market was brand new and we were first there so we protected everything we did, to help grow that market. If someone came up with a pattern that was unique, they may very well want to protect it so no one else can copy it. When doing bids for government depts. Spec writing comes down to what you have that NO ONE else can do. That is how you corner your share of business.

Reactions: Zapp Brannigan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.