Modifying OEM Tail Light for Feniex Cannon full Replacement

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
So here we go.

I have had this idea and plan for a long time, just now finally getting around to doing it (years later).

Wanted to replace all tail lights, in stock housing, with Cannon 360's. Got a new set of housings, all the Cannons, and other equipment to make this work (that is a discussion for another day). They will do all functions, running, S/T/T, and warning.

This post is to ask some advice/input on HOW to actually mount the lights to the housings. Have an old pair of housings I was cutting up to mock-fit, and see what problems I ran into. Do not have pictures of those at the moment, but can get some later, I will do my best to describe the issue(s) at hand without those pictures.

I have a 2005 Trailblazer. The stock bulbs are all held in place on one board that screws into the back of the housing.

Tail with Boards.jpg

To get proper light focusing for the halogen bulbs in the reflector, there is a raised area in back.

Tail Light Rear.jpg

To get the Cannon 360's to sit far enough into the reflectors, I had to trim down those raised areas, and the top one had a side cutout which allowed the light to be seen from the extreme side of the vehicle. When that top one trimmed down, it is not simply a circular hole anymore, but has that odd shape (which makes it odd/hard for sealing up).

Once that raised area is trimmed down to be flush with the back of the reflector housing, the hole is larger than the Cannon reflector, but smaller than the heat-sink/base of the Cannon. The problem this now creates is that the holes for the mounting screws do not sit on top of any material on any of the 3 reflectors, and can be seen from the front of the housing.
Tail Light Front.jpg

So what I am seeking is the best advice/method to secure the lights directly to the housing, that will keep it weathertight, secure, and be able to deal with the heat produced from prolonged use (as one mode of the lights will be as running/marker lights).

I would assume some silicone would work well enough, I just want to make sure this is the best method, since I will be unable to actually screw down the Cannons.

Thank you all in advance!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I'm up in Canada land where there is overuse of road salt in the winter (and horribly cold winters as well), and hot summers. I found any of the "name brand" kitchen and bath silicone was the best overall for use with 0 issues. I never have used screws on LAW's- ever. Nor do I use the LAW rubber gasket if it comes with one. I just use silicone.

Had 6 mounted in my previous vehicle for 5 years -the back of some of the LAW's had excessive corrosion on them from the winter road salt- but the silicone was fine. Actually, had to cut them out/off the housing since it was still holding strong and flexible. Never have had any issues with any moisture or water in lenses either.

Just ensure the product you use has (at least) the following: Permanently waterproof, flexible, shrink/crack-proof, and clear. I find the clear is best in case of any smearing or over-run on the lens itself- it'll still shine through. Run a good bead on the LAW, insert the LAW, and then goop some more on. Smooth with an applicator tool to ensure both adhesion and that there are no gaps anywhere.

I've tried other caulking including professional products from our fleet shop meant for automotive- always fails after a year or two. This is my own experiences tho.

Here is a link to the stuff I use. http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicone-II-kb-supreme.php

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Thank you both for your input!!

I haven't yet ran into any install/application where I was unable to mount anything to my vehicle without the stock options (such as the screws for my current Cannons), even if I did add anything after that to seal it up, so I wanted to ensure that something like silicone would be durable enough/appropriate to secure, AS WELL as seal up the lights!!

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
100% silly-cone gets my vote as well. I personally used that on a 2005 trailblazer (see my installs). I have since found that gray RTV sealant works just the same, although it takes a bit longer to dry/cure.

Might I also suggest a ring of 3M vhb tape (red backed gray tape, not that clear junk) to hold the Cannon to the housing prior to sealing it up with what ever goo you use.

Reactions: Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
20170424_150130_2.jpg 20170424_150346_2.jpg 20170424_150450_2.jpg 20170424_150538_2.jpg Here are some pictures with the housings cut, and the Cannons just set into place to show how I have to mount/seal:

Attachments

• 20170424_150634_2.jpg
    20170424_150634_2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 7

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.