2012 Ford Fusion - NYC Taxi & Limousine Police

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
Any reason why NYC Taxi police and NYPD have similar lighting specs? Are the agencies related?

Note to self: mute video and skip the beginning crap, trust me...

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
firedude said:
Any reason why NYC Taxi police and NYPD have similar lighting specs? Are the agencies related?

NYC is funny with the various law enforcement agencies & the different authorities of each agency. I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding is that they under the authority of the NYPD as "special patrolmen," which is basically a peace officer minus a firearm. NYPD had absorbed other agencies, such as the Housing Authority Police, but I have never heard the TLC mentioned being absorbed into NYPD. My guess is that they are still separate law enforcement entity (similar to how DSNY and other departments have their own law enforcement), but a bunch of law enforcement agencies in the city use similar specs.

firedude said:
Note to self: mute video and skip the beginning crap, trust me...

I'm not saying this to be mean, but I really think this guy is retarded. How many grown men talk like a 5 Y.O. and have time to walk around all day looking for all these "RARE" emergency vehicles

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
pdk9 said:
I'm not saying this to be mean, but I really think this guy is retarded. How many grown men talk like a 5 Y.O. and have time to walk around all day looking for all these "RARE" emergency vehicles

When he wandered out into the middle of the street I was waiting for him to be plastered by a bus. Now that would have been funny.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
pdk9 said:
NYC is funny with the various law enforcement agencies & the different authorities of each agency. I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding is that they under the authority of the NYPD as "special patrolmen," which is basically a peace officer minus a firearm. NYPD had absorbed other agencies, such as the Housing Authority Police, but I have never heard the TLC mentioned being absorbed into NYPD. My guess is that they are still separate law enforcement entity (similar to how DSNY and other departments have their own law enforcement), but a bunch of law enforcement agencies in the city use similar specs.
No, NYC TLC Enforcement is not part of the NYPD. Most officers do not carry firearms but I think some Inspectors are authorized to carry. They enforce Taxi Regulations within the city of New York and investigate crimes dealing with Taxis like assaults by the driver, driver's backgrounds, taxi robbery, etc. They are not to be confused with the NYPD Taxi Squad which assists the TLC with investigations.

It's basic lighting and doesn't appear to have the same Visions that the NYPD Spec wise. They're installs might be done by NYPD FSD but who knows.

emt111

Jun 10, 2011
New York
firedude said:
My guess, the NYC orders all patrol cars as a massive order for NYPD, they all go to NYPD shops to get the lights and everything else put in, at which point no one knows where they are going so they're all set up to NYPD standards, and then the few that aren't going to the NYPD are sent off to the other agencies with an NYPD light package and the other agencies don't bother to change them

May 22, 2010
New York City
emt111 said:
My guess, the NYC orders all patrol cars as a massive order for NYPD, they all go to NYPD shops to get the lights and everything else put in, at which point no one knows where they are going so they're all set up to NYPD standards, and then the few that aren't going to the NYPD are sent off to the other agencies with an NYPD light package and the other agencies don't bother to change them

100% wrong.......

Most NYPD vehicles get ordered and shipped directly to Major Police Supply in New Jersey that does 95% of the upfitting.

Other NYC agencies go there also and even if they do not go, they are not knowledgeable about L&S as most of us, so they just copy what they can.

Beyers fleet does alot of nyc agencies also.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Ahhhhh, no. The NYC TLC are New York State Peace Officers and are legally capable of making arrests... But most officers do not typically carry firearms, mostly just handcuffs and spray. Also the PPA has no arrest power... But are tasked with regulating Taxis.

mayhemnyc

Nov 8, 2010
NYC
delcofirecop said:
the tlc in new york have no police powers technically they just act like they do lol philadelphia has the parking authority taxi and limo enforcement unit which drive chevy impalas with interior red lights and sirens here is a link video of phillys taxi enforcement unit at work Cops Bust 'Hack' Cabbies in South Philadelphia | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Umm...NYC TLC Inspectors are peace officers and have arrest authority, both on and off duty. Don't know where you got your info.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.