Advice on a power supply.

SWI712

Jan 14, 2020
Omaha, NE
Good evening all.
Looking for advice on a good all around switching power supply for myself. I'm very much a novice. Have a couple older Radio Shack 25 amp 110/12 volt switching supply. As my collection of light bars grows so does the need for more power at the workbench. Just curious what the more experienced collectors are using. Many thanks.
Dan

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I use repurposed conputer power supplies for led and strobe bars. Anything halogen or par 36 bulbed would be better run on a car battery with a charger. Tripplite makes some good inverters from 110vac to 12vdc but be ready to pay $$$.

There are also several pinned threads in the questions forum about this.

Reactions: SWI712
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have a few of the Radio Shack power supplies and love them, they can take a lot of abuse! Depending on the light(s) you are running, the Powermax supplies are good for high loads. Better for steady loads as flashers can effect the output at high loads. For halogen bars without any circuits, I have not had any issues with the Amazon cheap supplies. As long as you get at least twice the capacity needed and bridge the terminals you should be good.

Reactions: SWI712

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.