Can you run a siren amp without a speaker?

Triple_Blox

Dec 7, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
So I got a Whelen Cencom Gold siren, and I don't want to test it with the speaker because its really loud (duh). I know there are threads about using resistors to lessen the sounds, but can I run the tones without a speaker connected? Will it blow up the amp? Are there other alternative speakers that can produce minimal sound that I can modify? Thanks.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
I have a old, gray Federal driver with the "re-entry" cone. I masking-taped the black painted cone edges, and the bare inside threads, and filled it with expandable foam (Great Stuff). Doesn't take much.

When the foam cures, I trimmed it a bit and screwed the "re-entry cone" back on the driver. Don't need the bell; the driver just sits upright on the shelf on its "back." Can't see the foam.

It is no louder than desktop computer speakers.

I actually got the idea from a visit to CHP fleet, who had some cones painted Red; you could screw it onto the car and check the siren without being super loud. The Red was a warning in case you forgot to remove it.

Reactions: Triple_Blox

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
I don’t have much experience with Cencom Gold. However, I do have a lot of experience with the newer Cencoms, Sapphire and up. With all of those Cencoms, you can actually hear the internal amp if you listen to the Cencom itself. You don’t need a speaker at all.

Reactions: cabunty

Triple_Blox

Dec 7, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
yeah, I hear the internal amp, but I was just wondering if it would cause damage if I ran it for a while without a speaker. Also with your experience, the Whelen command software does not work with Cencom Gold, right? Thanks

kreager29

May 15, 2011
Me
No. It will burn out the electronics. It creates a loop, if you will. The speaker is essentially an outlet for the electronic load.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota

Reactions: C17LVFD

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
I totally mis-understood your question. I thought that you wanted to test your Cencom, as a whole, not necessarily just the tones. So yea, if you are trying to run the tones for awhile, that’s probably gonna smoke the amplifier. I have used a siren speaker with resistors successfully, but Ive never really needed to test a siren for more than a second or two, so Im not really sure what the long term damage might be from any of that. But now I kinda want to test that. Ive got a bunch of Sapphires, if I get some free time, Ill start playing the siren without a speaker, and see how long it lasts.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
No. It will burn out the electronics. It creates a loop, if you will. The speaker is essentially an outlet for the electronic load.
I've tested electronic sirens with a 9 volt battery and no speaker. I haven't blown up anything.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Ive got a Cencom Sapphire running siren tones with no speaker. Im at 15 minutes straight right now with no damage. Im occasionally attaching the speaker to make sure that it is still working properly. Maybe the Cencom Gold has a different amp than the Sapphire, but I doubt it. Id run it. If you ruin your Gold on my advice of doing this, Ill send you a Sapphire to replace it. (you pay shipping).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.