Havis Idleright System

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
I am passing this along from a department close to me that has been using the Idleright Idle Reduction System for about a year now. Our local CBS affiliate did a story about them and their use of the system which prompted me to post the information as I feel it is pretty compelling. I will post the link to the story as soon as I get it. If you are not sure how it works, it is pretty basic. Leave the lights on, turn the car off. Idleright will take control and automatically Idle the vehicle only when absolutely neccessary to keep the battery charged. As the lights draw on the battery reaching down to 11.75 volts or so, Idleright starts the car and Idles it about 20 minutes or so then shuts it back down. The whole process starts all over.

Anyway, the South Windsor, CT Police Department recently decided to use a 2 week long work detail to do their own un-scientific testing of the Idleright. This detail required the use of two cruisers for 8 hours per day. Both cars used in the test were similar CVPI's with similar equipment. For the record the cars are euipped with Whelen Liberty Lightbars, deck lights and 4 hide-a-way strobes. At the beginning of the first test day, they topped off both vehicles with fuel. They then drove to the work detail where they sat for the next 8 hours, providing warning lights. One car idled continuously, while the other operated on the Idleright System. At the end of 8 hours, both cars were returned to the station and again, topped off with fuel. The car the sat and Idled the entire 8 hours, used 7.3 gallons of gasoline. The Idleright equipped CVPI used 0.6 gallons of fuel. That is a 6.7 gallon fuel saving in one day. They conducted another days worth of testing, with similar results... Idling 8 hours this time used 6.4 gallons, and using Idleright only .7 gallons. Again, significant savings. And this is just fuel. Not mentioning wear and tear savings.

See link here to learn more.

http://www.havis.com/idleright.htm

If you have vehicles that do work details and need to be parked with lights on for extended amounts of time, this is a tool that you should be using!

May 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
What about wear and tear on starters? About two years ago our department decided they would "go green" and whenever you parked a car for any reason they wanted you to turn the car off. After replacing the starters on all of our vehicles with in three to four months the policy was scrapped. I'm not saying idle-right is a bad idea, I'm just saying that in fixing one problem you can create another. Something simply to keep in mind.

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
code60a said:
What about wear and tear on starters? About two years ago our department decided they would "go green" and whenever you parked a car for any reason they wanted you to turn the car off. After replacing the starters on all of our vehicles with in three to four months the policy was scrapped. I'm not saying idle-right is a bad idea, I'm just saying that in fixing one problem you can create another. Something simply to keep in mind.

Starting a vehicle roughly 3 times during the course of 8 hours is doing FAR less wear than keeping them running 8 hours. Studies have shown that 1 start cycle put the same wear on a vehicle as 5 minutes of idling, making the argument that it is better for your vehicle to turn it off and restart if you plan to sit more than 5 minutes. With Idleright you are looking at HOURS between starts... not mnutes.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Outsider said:
Starting a vehicle roughly 3 times during the course of 8 hours is doing FAR less wear than keeping them running 8 hours. Studies have shown that 1 start cycle put the same wear on a vehicle as 5 minutes of idling, making the argument that it is better for your vehicle to turn it off and restart if you plan to sit more than 5 minutes. With Idleright you are looking at HOURS between starts... not mnutes.

But it depends on your lighting package too though. It's MUCH easier on the transmission too. Most people don't realize that leaving a vehicle in park while idling really is not good for it, especially if you have a Dodge. Some of the Dodge automatic transmissions (typically in '03-'07 years) do not circulate the transmission fluid while in park. You can quickly burn out a transmission doing that, especially if it is sitting and idling for 8 hours at a time. I think it's a great idea.

ibby

May 28, 2010
And it is still cheaper and better for the environment to replace a starter 2 - 3 times a year than waste 7 gallons of fuel per car per day. This is a great product!

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Off topic question about the transmissions: will placing the car in neutral and applying the parking brake help this at all or is creating more problems than it solves?

sl1.jpg

sl2.jpg

AMG

Jun 1, 2010
Canada
Hey code4services.com have you ever tried this before? What type of low voltage alarm did you use. I could only find a couple and none of which had an output I could use unless I modified of course. Which i guess isn't the end of the world. I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tdi419

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.