HHS-2200 Blown?

Brian209

Feb 12, 2022
Connecticut
I was preparing my HHS-2200 to go back in to service in a new vehicle, and had it hooked to a bench supply for configuring the system. I didn't have any inputs hooked up, and did not have any siren speakers hooked to the system. The only input hooked up was the "Backlight" for the controller. I powered it up and the backlight was on for the controller. Pressing a light button toggled the relay. Someone came along and pressed the "Manual" siren button for a few seconds and I heard an internal high pitched noise winding up like the siren. I put a stop to that in a couple of seconds, but then a within five seconds I noticed the backlight was off and the relays no longer toggled.

All of the fuses test good, and i confirmed that there is 12 VDC to each of the positive wires.

I could see the siren output getting blown when trying to amplify into a short, but I'm not sure why amplifying into an open circuit would blow this unit up. Also, I could see the siren going dead, but why is the whole unit now dead?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
I was preparing my HHS-2200 to go back in to service in a new vehicle, and had it hooked to a bench supply for configuring the system. I didn't have any inputs hooked up, and did not have any siren speakers hooked to the system. The only input hooked up was the "Backlight" for the controller. I powered it up and the backlight was on for the controller. Pressing a light button toggled the relay. Someone came along and pressed the "Manual" siren button for a few seconds and I heard an internal high pitched noise winding up like the siren. I put a stop to that in a couple of seconds, but then a within five seconds I noticed the backlight was off and the relays no longer toggled.

All of the fuses test good, and i confirmed that there is 12 VDC to each of the positive wires.

I could see the siren output getting blown when trying to amplify into a short, but I'm not sure why amplifying into an open circuit would blow this unit up. Also, I could see the siren going dead, but why is the whole unit now dead?
That shouldn’t have blown it. That noise you heard was just the siren amp. Even without a speaker connected, you can always hear the siren tones coming out of the main control box. Is your controller plugged directly into the hhs? Ive seen those connections melt before.

Brian209

Feb 12, 2022
Connecticut
That shouldn’t have blown it. That noise you heard was just the siren amp. Even without a speaker connected, you can always hear the siren tones coming out of the main control box. Is your controller plugged directly into the hhs? Ive seen those connections melt before.
Yes, the handheld controller is plugged directly into the HHS-2200 main box.

I took the cover off of the HHS, and I do not see any damaged components such as leaky capacitors and the like. It does not smell as if the magic smoke was let out of any device.

I confirmed that I have 13.8 volts to the board where the power connector attaches. The HHS Control connector appears to be good, but turning on the power and attaching the controller does not result in anything being able to operate.

I moved the whole setup to next to my computer and read the program off it just fine... and now it's back to working properly.

Very strange!!! Is there something that I've forgotten about the HHS-2200 where it only runs when the computer is plugged in on the USB port or, there is some wire that needs to be supplied with voltage to run?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Im not familiar with the 2200 at all. However, with every other cencom, when you plug it into a computer, it acts the same as powering up the ignition wire. Do you have one of the low current activation wires hooked up?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.