Modifying FS PA300

Dr.Jon

Dec 23, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
I have an older 12 pin FS PA 300 with the plastic paddle switch for horn or siren tone (rise and fall wail).
Is it possible to simply modify paddle switch for either the yelp tone or peak and hold wail?

There was a thread about 10 years ago that petered out without a real answer.

Thanks for your time.20230910_132227.jpg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
What tone is produced when the paddle switch is held for several seconds in the "manual" position currently?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I don't think I have ever seen a PA300 where the wail rises and then falls while the paddle switch is being held down when the selctor knob is in the "manual" position. The wail should only fall once the paddle switch is no longer held down and is allowed to return to the center position.

Are you able to take a video of your PA300 doing what you have described?

Dr.Jon

Dec 23, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
I don't think I have ever seen a PA300 where the wail rises and then falls while the paddle switch is being held down when the selctor knob is in the "manual" position. The wail should only fall once the paddle switch is no longer held down and is allowed to return to the center position.

Are you able to take a video of your PA300 doing what you have described?
I apologize, I misunderstood. Yes, it rises when the paddle is held down then falls when it's released.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
You should be able to cut the white/red wire somewhere between the rotary switch and the board, and connect it to the white/orange wire. Make certain to protect both circuits by installing two diodes, one in the white/red wire before your connection to the white/orange wire and one in the white/orange wire on the rotary switch side of your connection to the white/red wire.

Dr.Jon

Dec 23, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
You should be able to cut the white/red wire somewhere between the rotary switch and the board, and connect it to the white/orange wire. Make certain to protect both circuits by installing two diodes, one in the white/red wire before your connection to the white/orange wire and one in the white/orange wire on the rotary switch side of your connection to the white/red wire.
Thank you!

Dr.Jon

Dec 23, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
I'm a rookie at this, so would a 5W 12v diode be sufficent?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I don't know how much current is drawn in either circuit. Use an ammeter, or the ammeter function of a digital multimeter, to check how many amps each circuit draws. Then multiply by 14 volts to get the wattage. It's okay to select a higher wattage diode, but selecting a diode with too low of a wattage would cause premature failure.

Reactions: Dr.Jon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.