New Whelen Par36 with interleaved driving lights

ccsobaker

Jul 4, 2010
Central Arkansas
Thought I would post a quick review of the new Whelen Par36 lights that also function as a fog light. I purchased these from Dave at MichianaELS as soon as Whelen had them listed, Dave quoted me a lead time of 4-6 weeks as this was a new product and Whelen did not yet have them ready for sale. The lights came in on the 22nd and I got them mounted as soon as I could. My agency uses all blue and we are soon going to start replacing our patrol cars with Tahoes so for this reason I ordered the lights with mounting brackets for a Tahoe; until my patrol car is replaced I have mounted them to my pushbumper using rubber par36 pedistal mounts.

Whelen Engineering - Lightheads - Lightheads, Directional Strobe, Super-LED®, LED, Halogen & Combination

The lights came in a medium size box dropped shipped from Whelen, the lights were in two seperate smaller boxes inside.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_fe49a180.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_6eea679d.jpg

Backroad with no lights on:

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_e8d4344e.jpg

Same backroad with headlights on:

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_b2ad6c9f.jpg

Headlights and Whelen driving lights on:

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_4d094678.jpg

Just the driving lights on:

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_7bffc85b.jpg

Lights on the car:

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_f397ff40.jpg

Quick video of the lights on:(excuse the quality, shot with iphone)

I love these lights so far, they light up the roadway well and serve the intended purpose. Also I wanted to note that Dave was great to deal with and had excellent communication.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harbor Patrol

May 22, 2010
NY
these lights are so awsome. i just got a pair of the Par28's with interleave. the whites are every other bulb so you have 3 white leds ontop of 3 white leds in the linz6's and are super bright. you do loose the internal sync function but i have mine on steady burn with an external led flasher and a relay. if you dont put the relay on, the whites will stay solid while your color flashes. def a must buy but will take about 2 months to get from whelen.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
can you post a pic of what thhe fog lights look like from the front on

thanks

Harbor Patrol

May 22, 2010
NY
i got my pAR28's for about $300 shipped, but took like 2 months to get since they are so new, but def worth the wait

ccsobaker

Jul 4, 2010
Central Arkansas
Just wanted to post a little update since I've had the lights installed for about 2 monta now. They are working like a champ but I did notice the driving light LEDs do dim slightly after running for a few minutes; they are still plenty bright, just something I noticed. Also I hit a deer a couple of nights ago with a direct impact to the push bumper area, the housings got bent upwards and the lights were pushed in and twisted in the rubber mounts. Didn't crack the lens and the still work excellently.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_2a60d338.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_1c2a0412.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u257_layedcolorado_614919ff.jpg

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Go Rhino and Whelen = +1

Deer = 0

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
ccsobaker, I was looking for instruction on wiring and unable to locate. Wondering if you could possible post it for us so I could see if an idea I have might work? Thanks in advance, Joe.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
car54 said:
ccsobaker, I was looking for instruction on wiring and unable to locate. Wondering if you could possible post it for us so I could see if an idea I have might work? Thanks in advance, Joe.

Here is the install guide. I had been unable to find it since Whelen re-did their install guide section.

http://www.whelen.com/install/145/14515.pdf

wduda152

Jun 5, 2010
Binghamton, NY
How did you hook the relay up, as a dry contact or normal 12v? This is the information I've been looking for since I just installed them on my Charger.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiemartin6

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.