Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
lotsofbars said:
Did the double outlets mean double the output?

Yeah, Basically back when supplies were 60 fpm or so, hooking the trigger of the alternating head to the first will double the flash rate. That is exactly how the original piercer was made. Modern supplies often don't like this hack and malfunction. But technology has moved beyoned needing this hack anyway.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
JohnMarcson said:
Yeah, Basically back when supplies were 60 fpm or so, hooking the trigger of the alternating head to the first will double the flash rate. That is exactly how the original piercer was made. Modern supplies often don't like this hack and malfunction. But technology has moved beyoned needing this hack anyway.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Nowadays, as you said, you can just change the flash pattern and be on your way. Interesting how slow the flashes were compared to now.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I love the old-school strobe stuff, back when it was cutting edge technology. I've watched old COPS episodes and seen old apparatus that had just a simple pair of strobe grille lights- that must have seemed like such a huge improvement over the halogen/incandescent lighting. You can see the same progression with LEDs- I remember when the NYSP decided to retrofit their Vistas with Cuda modules to boost lighting output and when it was a "big deal" to see a car with a Liberty. Now they're commonplace for pretty much all new emergency vehicles.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
lotsofbars said:
Interesting how slow the flashes were compared to now.
I personally like the older slow flash pattern, the modern ones are just way too fast and disorienting. Very Nice piece John

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
To make this more confusing; here is a 2 head remote supply marked "piercer". Not only is it two heads but it is a style not offered until 5 years after the piercer came out. I'm not sure if this was for an early lightbar mount one, a remote unit using a dual strobe head, or if the remote units actually did just function by combining the triggers of a two head unit. It looks to flash each head at normal double flash rate so I am guessing they were combining triggers from two heads into one...

piercer 1.PNG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gram1427

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.