Portable Power Bank That Provides 12 Volts DC

Jim1348

May 12, 2017
Rosemount
I am looking for a portable power bank that provides 12 volts DC. Does anybody here have one that works really well that they would recommend? I did have an older, sealed lead acid (SLA) battery with a 12 volt power outlet, but I am inclined to get a non-SLA at this point.

I have been looking at this one from Anker, but I would also consider one a bit smaller. It must have at least one 12 volt power outlet.

https://www.anker.com/products/a1720?ref=anker-solix-series&variant=41982439686294

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
What are you running off of it? I.E minimum spec. ..

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Noco makes some good packs for short runs. I use an inverter (9-36v to 12vdc/5 amp max) on a 20v tool battery to run led mini bars for up to 2 hours. It will power a 55inch C3 defender (rear only) when I tested it.
20231210_154202.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
6 amps @12 v.... This is going to be a little pricey once you add a battery a d charger, but I like the simple durable style

I like either the sort of items linked above if you have decided to go the route of adding specific batteries and charger.

I don't think the commercial power packs really hold up so the other route is using a converter and a battery system that you already own such as DeWalt 18, volt. The equipment to step the voltage down is not free, but it's certainly cheaper than building out the system yourself. Depending on whether or not you already have cordless tool batteries, that might be a savings.

Jim1348

May 12, 2017
Rosemount
6 amps @12 v.... This is going to be a little pricey once you add a battery a d charger, but I like the simple durable style

I like either the sort of items linked above if you have decided to go the route of adding specific batteries and charger.

I don't think the commercial power packs really hold up so the other route is using a converter and a battery system that you already own such as DeWalt 18, volt. The equipment to step the voltage down is not free, but it's certainly cheaper than building out the system yourself. Depending on whether or not you already have cordless tool batteries, that might be a savings.
I am in the Ryobi 40 volt ecosystem and the Milwaukee M12 tools.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I presume you are wanting this because you will not have access to any type of power where you are wanting to use the light?

A few factors to consider when looking at a power source. If you are using an SLA, Gel or AGM type battery you can only get about 50% of that batteries capacity before you really reduce its lifespan. Lithium type allow the majority of their power to be used but have different charging considerations.

Using power tool batteries with a buck converter can work fine for a short run time but they have a fairly small capacity.

Jim1348

May 12, 2017
Rosemount
Here is what I am thinking of trying. I am thinking of buying a Ryobi 40 volt 300-watt power source RYI300BG. I already have a number of Ryobi 40 volt batteries, so this would be a fairly simply solution for me.

I do already have a device that is a 10 amp car power supply. It isn't the exact brand name in the Amazon listing, but the specifications are the same. On the back of it lists:

AC ADAPTER

Model No: yczx1210000T

Input: AC100-240V∼50/60Hz 2.0A

Output: DC 12V⎓10A

It plugs into the home outlet, has a "power brick" in the middle and an automobile style outlet on the other end.

The Ryobi PDF list the Product Specifications as:

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Watts... 300 Watts Continuous

DC Input...40 Volts DC

AC Output ..120 Volts, 2.5 Amps

USB Output*:

USB-A...5/9/12 Volts, up to 36 Watts

USB-C...5/9/12/15/20 Volts, up to 40 Watts

Output Wave Form...Pure Sine Wave

*USB ports share internal circuitry. If USB-A is in use, USB-C will supply 5V output only.

If I understand this correctly, the Ryobi RYi300BG may provide 120 volts at 2.5 amps, which will be enough for the AC ADAPTER, which requires 100-240 volts at 2.0 amps. The adapter will then provide 12VDC at 10 amps.

AnnaChimore

Jul 8, 2023
Mishiwaka, IN
That sounds like it would work just fine. The AC draw would be a bit over 1 amp @ 120VAC which means you have plenty of headroom. What I love is that those are proven out and a safe battery. Be very cautious using any sort of Lithium-Ion battery from Ebay or Amazon. Some of those can burn your car and house down!

Reactions: Jim1348

AnnaChimore

Jul 8, 2023
Mishiwaka, IN
Actually I just noticed you said it draws 2.0 A @ 120VAC. That should work, but getting close to maxing it out. But I doubt it is actually drawing 2.0A. If the output is 120W I cannot believe it has 50% loss (perfect would be 1.0A @ 120VAC).

Reactions: Jim1348

Jim1348

May 12, 2017
Rosemount
Actually I just noticed you said it draws 2.0 A @ 120VAC. That should work, but getting close to maxing it out. But I doubt it is actually drawing 2.0A. If the output is 120W I cannot believe it has 50% loss (perfect would be 1.0A @ 120VAC).

How can I estimate the approximate run time of a device drawing 6 amps at 12 VDC using a Ryobi 40V 6AH battery?

(I gather that lithium-ion (protected) batteries don't run down to zero.)

6 Ah/1A=1 Hour (in a perfect world).

AnnaChimore

Jul 8, 2023
Mishiwaka, IN
How can I estimate the approximate run time of a device drawing 6 amps at 12 VDC using a Ryobi 40V 6AH battery?

(I gather that lithium-ion (protected) batteries don't run down to zero.)

6 Ah/1A=1 Hour (in a perfect world).

If the Ryobi were a 12V battery at 6AH, it would give you 6 hours at 1 Amp or 1 hour at 6 Amps. But you are right it's not quite so simple since you have 40V battery with 12V load. So you calculate the power in Watt Hours of capacity.

RYOBI: 40Vx6A= 240WHRS. So the battery can provide 240WHRS.
ADAPTER: 12Vx2A = 24WHRS (for one hour of run time). So in an hour of run time that would be 12Vx2A=24W in an hour. So the 40V battery would run it for 10 hours. 240/24=10. Now the truth is you might get more than 10 hours run time since the battery will not be heating up so much as it would with a higher amp draw (keeps the battery happier).

NOW: That's for your original adapter (12VDC @ 2A.
But I notice you asked about a 6A draw at 12V. In that case it's 72WHR, so you would get 240/72=3.33 Hrs.

Now I showed you the basic calculation, but if you have the same amp draw as the battery amp supply (amp hours) and just the voltages are different, it's the ratio of voltages. 40V 6A with 12V 6A (40/12)=3.33Hrs

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.