Price check on Code3 MX series bar

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Sourcing an MX series bar for a new member of local firehall.

Found an ad for it on CL  http://allentown.craigslist.org/for/4768586544.html

Was offered an MX series bar in really good shape,  all light version 3 rotators (LCR) and 4 Strobe heads.    Has takedowns, flashers and sweeps,  and a T/A.

Seller is asking $75  deal or no deal?   or fair counter offer?

Also need to source a control module or switchbox for it.    

I have a generic Galls switchbox,   but no T/A controller

I would like to find him something that does both including T/A   any suggestions?  Model number and price helps as well.

Its important to keep this on the low price as much as possible he can upgrade to all the fancy bells and whistles once he gets established.

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Walking away with a loaded MX7K in good condition for $75 is a good deal.

Personally, unless it was brand new/unused, I wouldn't want to go much over that for an MX7K, because I'd want to leave room in my budget for refurbing it (new domes, new bulbs, WD40 for the rotators & sweepers, possibly new mounting feet)

jmccarthy

Nov 9, 2013
ne ohio
I sold an mx7k with switchbox and T/A controller for 150. It had 5 rotators sweeps no flashers or strobes and a rear t/A

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
I think the price is right. My Allentown PD all-halogen MX7000 was $35 at auction, and I put another $30-some into adding TA.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of an integrated switchbox and TA controller, until you get up into the range of "smart" systems. Code 3 controllers run about $20 on eBay,

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I need to get a price a T/A controller.    All the ones I see are missing the wiring harness or cut really short.

That and nobody buys it out before i can gather this information.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
usually a mx or an Excalibur will go for $100 if "plain jane" they will go for more if loaded to the gill with intersectors, ta, alleys, tds etc...

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Ok,

looks like he is gonna bite on this bar.

Now I need to source a control box for the T/A

Any model in particular?   

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
As you can see, the price of an MX varies.  A lot has to do with condition, options and series.  The newer plastic rotators are less desirable as are the strobes.  Both are prone to problems.  The strobes came in many different series, some with capacitors on the bulbs, some on the supply.  They will be all but impossible to replace.  The plastic rotators suffered heat damage and dulled fast.  The bar pictured has both strobes and plastic rotators, so I would avoid it.  A good condition metal rotator one with intersection sweeps, alleys, takedowns, front flashers and a rear arrow should be under $200.  The one pictured will sell for more to an ebay or craigslist crowd and less on here.  An average price for a "usable" MX would be $100.  Again, that varies a lot.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I think it's reasonably priced. The strobes appear to be newer design with the metal housing, which are a good bit better than the older design. If the rotators start to suck, you can just change them out for older metal rotators. It's a quick, easy and cheap fix. 

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I think it's reasonably priced. The strobes appear to be newer design with the metal housing, which are a good bit better than the older design. If the rotators start to suck, you can just change them out for older metal rotators. It's a quick, easy and cheap fix. 
It's not a bad price if the domes are the right color since those are in good shape.  Just know the strobes and rotators may need swapped.  MX is a great platform, so any bar with domes is a good starting place.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Well good news is the seller dropped the price to $0 once I told him what it was for.

Now I need to start prepping it and get a wiring schematic for it.

I have the blue filter insert and dome to replace the reds.

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
I have a lot of MX parts, new & used except the lenses. I wasn't able to open the picture to see what would be needed. I also have a distributor in Northern CA that also has new & used MX parts and I'm 99.9% I can locate you a nice arrowstick controller with the plugs needed. So if you have a list, PM me and let me see what I can do for you.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.