question on soundoff ETCPMP801

94yj

Aug 13, 2013
ft worth tx
what is the cable length that runs from the control head to the relay box as i have been unable to find the length on the spec sheet TIA

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Are you asking what's the maximum cable distance between a switch-box and Control Point (wccp)?
Sounds like a good question to send to Whelen support!

My short answer: likely not worth worrying about.

Longer explanation:
I did an experiment - I connected a wccp to a freedom lightbar, programmed it so wccp input #1 would flash on a corner lighthead.

I applied voltage (just as a switch would) to wccp input pin #1. I then backed the power supply voltage down the the point where the flashing lighthead was visibly diminished in brightness...this was at ~8.6 volts.

I then inserted a 100 ohm resistor between the wccp pin #1 and the 8.6 V applied to activate it. It _still_ worked. I then substituted the 100 ohm resistor with a 270 ohm resistor. That did _not_ work.

The point of this experiment was to objectively observe an extreme necessary to cause a switching failure and (hopefully) get a sense of how far this condition is from the typical real-world use-case.

So far as the wccp was concerned, that 100 ohm resistance could have been the voltage loss over 8000 ft of 20 gauge wire at 167 degrees F. See table here:

As far as the maximum distance between the wccp and the lightbar, that's pure "CANbus" (which is what "WeCan" is based on).

Maximum CANbus networks distance is a function of operating speed. It's been my experience Whelen runs WeCan at 125kbps.

According to:
maximum network distance is 500m for 125kbps (1640 ft).

Regarding the ETCPMP801:

It says, "Eight switch control panel with three 10 amp and five 0.2 amp outputs for auxiliary device power or function activation" -- you should have no problem using it to signal inputs on the "wccp".

Hope this helps

Reactions: 94yj

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.