Switch box identification/help needed

TXDPSCJ

Aug 6, 2023
NJ
Hi all,

Can anyone help to identify this switch box part # and also lead me to a possible PDF for the wiring instructions?

This is the only online image I can find and it’s being identified as a Federal Signal switch box, however there’s no notes about which FS switch box it is, or any part numbers…. It’s from the ewrly 90’s.IMG_2978.jpeg
(Photo from online, photo credit and courtesy goes to T.Scharp)

Any help is appreciated, been googling lots and am not hitting on anything… I even did a wide open search on this site for “federal signal” and went through all threads.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Your photo shows the switches. Try posting one of the box itself with any labels. The switches are carling brand. Very popular in apparatus (engines, ambulances, some police depts use them). Hope that helps.

Screenshot_20230831_070728_Samsung Internet.jpg

TXDPSCJ

Aug 6, 2023
NJ
Your photo shows the switches. Try posting one of the box itself with any labels. The switches are carling brand. Very popular in apparatus (engines, ambulances, some police depts use them). Hope that helps.

View attachment 246098

@Sparky_911
Thanks for the reply and switch info.

Unfortunately that is the only pic available online, here's the original image - no labels seen and can't tell anything more of it or about the box:
IMG_4679.jpeg

It was identified as a "Federal Signal" box, and I have been trying to find any similar images by searching online everywhere using "federal signal switch box" or "federal signal 6-switch box" or "federal signal control box" to no avail.

I don't have the box, but am looking for one for my restoration or at least a part # or more info to the original box to source/research it better.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Looks like a custom job. It might be Fedsig, but can't really tell from the photo. Try searching Havis or Jotto desk brand switch panels. I personally dont have any experience with that particular panel. Maybe someone that does will chime in.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Make of box is really immaterial, you asked about a wiring diagram that's standard 12vdc switch wiring- the illuminated switches are
1. POS 2. NEG 3. ACC on, the non-illuminated switches are 1. POS & 2. ACC on. The Alley light switch should have 2 ACC on terminals that are energized one or the other based on switch position.

TXDPSCJ

Aug 6, 2023
NJ
Thank you for the replies and additional insight/info, really appreciate it.

Trying to do this resto has been challenging considering the years that have passed and having difficulty locating anything from the time period (90’s).

The above is helpful, I’ve since looked up the switch type as well as the box types.

What is the difference between a Carling switch and the “Cole Hersee” switch? Just asking because I’m not that knowledgeable of the switches or the differences in brand or function. Before I made the initial post and when trying to look up “white rocker switches”, I came across the Cole Hersee brand which looks similar (to me).

Smoked

Oct 29, 2017
Pa
A Cole Hershey switch is usually a 2 position battery switch mounted on floor or seat base used for battery isolation it’s a large dial type turn knob to separate a dual battery system between just the starting battery or the dual to run the entire truck .I haven’t seen one used in years on modern equipment if you have any old hearses /ambulances from 1980’s and earlier they all have them . If you have a local ghostbusters tribute car( Ecto 1?) all of those old Cadillacs have them.

TXDPSCJ

Aug 6, 2023
NJ
A Cole Hershey switch is usually a 2 position battery switch mounted on floor or seat base used for battery isolation it’s a large dial type turn knob to separate a dual battery system between just the starting battery or the dual to run the entire truck .I haven’t seen one used in years on modern equipment if you have any old hearses /ambulances from 1980’s and earlier they all have them . If you have a local ghostbusters tribute car( Ecto 1?) all of those old Cadillacs have them.

This is what I was referencing as a Cole Hersee switch - this looks similar to a Carling Switch, but maybe is used in other applications?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cars center

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.