THE LAW - AMBER LIGHTS

czolgista111

Dec 27, 2021
Poland
Dear Members,

Tell me how it works in U.S. especially in Minnesota. May I have in the car and use amber lights? For example when I will have car breakdown, or some accident on the way, to be more visible - I have mini lighbar in dual color amber or just blue - And I am asking because I am planning to move to Minnesota. There is long and dark months, and my lightbar even I won`t use emergency colors it have good take-down lights which can be very usefull..
It is legal to have mounted on the roof lightbar like this or I need some special permitions, or the police won`t pay attention for amber warning lights or beacons?

In Poland you can have in/on the car amber light, but use during towing or breakdown car. (Blue is prohibided) But I never had problems about mounted lightbar or about amber color.

1. It will be problem to have mini lightbar or beacon in car with amber color?
2. Or when it is prohibided the Police won`t pay attention for this color, but for example red red/blue is extremly banned to use by civilians?

If something is not understable tell me. I will try explain better. Thank you:

My lightbar:

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Many states are different. If you are referring to rotators in MN, any vehicle may be equipped with 2 amber rotators. No other color or quantity can be used on a standard vehicle. A few other exceptions for things like wreckers, garbage trucks, city owned vehicles ect but not service vehicles.

Only emergency vehicles can run lights en route or on the way as you put it.

Hope that helps some.

Reactions: czolgista111

czolgista111

Dec 27, 2021
Poland
It MUST be rotators or it will may be LED?

So mounted but not used lightbar like above (mini light bar but lightbar not beacon) on the roof may be without bad consequences? Yes Minnesota. Duluth. Just amber (but as you can se I can choose the blue one)

When I could get an accident od car breakdown may I use the amber color? Or during towing?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
What about dashboard directional LEDS? They are not allowed?
Basically, aftermarket flashing lights are pretty restricted in MN. They differ for certain vehicles (school busses, city vehicles, wreckers, garbage trucks ect) have specific exceptions. The average vehicle in MN is pretty restricted in type, color and placement. I have not read the post above from Dave but it might have some info. I understand the laws can be complicated to locate and understand but you won't be able to load a car up with lights in MN.

Reactions: Dave F

czolgista111

Dec 27, 2021
Poland
Basically, aftermarket flashing lights are pretty restricted in MN. They differ for certain vehicles (school busses, city vehicles, wreckers, garbage trucks ect) have specific exceptions. The average vehicle in MN is pretty restricted in type, color and placement. I have not read the post above from Dave but it might have some info. I understand the laws can be complicated to locate and understand but you won't be able to load a car up with lights in MN.

From the order thread:

MN

All licensed emergency vehicles, ie Police, fire, amublance are allowed Red White and Blue, Blue has to be to the passenger side of the vehicle.

Volunteers are allowed one steady burning red light to the front no larger that 4 in in diameter. Permit required from Commissioner of Public Safety.

Amber and red for tow trucks.

DOT Amber and Blue.

Anyone can have amber and white.

Strict enforcement of these laws.

DOT and WIG-WAG - what does it mean?
Anyone can have amber and white - sooooo teoretically may I have just amber lightbar from my videos above?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
From the order thread:

MN

All licensed emergency vehicles, ie Police, fire, amublance are allowed Red White and Blue, Blue has to be to the passenger side of the vehicle.

Volunteers are allowed one steady burning red light to the front no larger that 4 in in diameter. Permit required from Commissioner of Public Safety.

Amber and red for tow trucks.

DOT Amber and Blue.

Anyone can have amber and white.

Strict enforcement of these laws.

DOT and WIG-WAG - what does it mean?
Anyone can have amber and white - sooooo teoretically may I have just amber lightbar from my videos above?
DOT means Department Of Transportation and Wig Wag means alternating (alternating flashing lights are not allowed). The info listed here is not completely accurate. Presuming you are looking to use the lights on a personal vehicle you would be restricted to 2. I have not watched the videos you posted. The type of light makes a difference for what is allowed. It's not much but the laws can be complicated.

Reactions: czolgista111

czolgista111

Dec 27, 2021
Poland
Yes. Very complicated. In Poland it does no matter. Directional, rotator, strobe, lighbar. There is just ,,light" Word. But blue and red can use just emergency services. Nobody more. And the is no exemption. Immediately jail. But amber lights. You really have to use it with no reason and do strange things on the way to be stopped by police. White flash or other colors are not allowed.

And officially you dont need permition to have amber light in car or mounted.

If you have the blue or red inside - even in the box or not plugged you will go to the jail.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.