Whelen 500 Series: LIN4 vs. LIN6 vs. LIN8?

For those knowledgable on the various styles of LED 500 Series lightheads that Whelen produces:

In there any significant difference between the economy LIN4 and the standard LIN6? I've also seen there are LIN8 versions from ballasted Liberty bars (whatever that means), are those signicantly brighter than a LIN6?

For context, I'm thinking of eventually getting an old Whelen TA836, selling all the halogen 500's, lens, harness, everything but the frame. Then I was going to cut the frame to produce something similar to 2 dashmisers, and 2 pieces about 1.5 times longer than a single dashmiser to each accomodate a 500 and an MR11 takedown.

Then I'd try and run all of that off of 2 ULF28's.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Go with LIN6, with the most recent manufacturing dates you can find. There is a noticeable difference in brightness between LIN6 and LIN4. I feel there somewhat of a brightness difference between newer LIN6 and older LIN6, especially in amber. Avoid LIN8, regardless of how inexpensively you can find them, as you will be unable to fit a ballast inside of the TA836 housing.

Go with LIN6, with the most recent manufacturing dates you can find. There is a noticeable difference in brightness between LIN6 and LIN4. I feel there somewhat of a brightness difference between newer LIN6 and older LIN6, especially in amber. Avoid LIN8, regardless of how inexpensively you can find them, as you will be unable to fit a ballast inside of the TA836 housing.
Thank you for all the info. I'll have to save a little more for LIN6's, but if they are notably brighter, it seems like it'd be well worth it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.