Hello from NC

W2CK

Apr 29, 2024
Kipling, NC
Hi,

I have been reading the For Sale ads for a few months now. I found one I'd like to buy, so that prompted me to finally sign up.

I used to be in the volunteer Fire / Rescue business when I lived in New York State in the Mid Hudson Valley. I joined when I was 16 in 1977 and immediately saw where much radio work was needed. I was already a ham, but a ham couldn't work on commercial radios without a proper FCC license. So, I added a 2nd class commercial radiotelephone license to the ham one.

Of course, working on anything electrical came along with that part of the job. Including lights and sirens. I have forgotten a lot when it comes to these over the years of course. But, this site certainly brings some of that back.

Once I got out of high school in 79, I upped the commercial FCC license to a 1st class and went to work at a local AM radio station. In 1981, I was hired by IBM where I stayed until mid 1994. In January 1994, I've Been Moved from NY to NC but that lasted all of 8 months when the IBM axes were swinging in NC the way they already had in NY. Ericsson had their Digital Land Mobile radio R&D site just down the street from IBM, so I wound up there.

My IBM work was all data comm, and part of that was stuffing radios into laptops to make mobile terminals. Ericsson was my vendor for the radios. So, that was a natural change for me. I worked with Ericsson through 2008 when they consolidated things and I opened up my own electronics lab, which is still going.

Anyway, not sure how much help I can be to anyone here, but I'll certainly try.

Stan - w2ck

W2CK

Apr 29, 2024
Kipling, NC
Hi,

Thanks! I have to say, it's an interesting site. So many things I am familiar with and then so many more that showed up after I moved and stopped paying attention.

Stan

W2CK

Apr 29, 2024
Kipling, NC
Hi,

To add some more, I kept one item when I moved. A Sireno 4-bulb 'pot' as we called such in our area. I dug up an amber dome, Deitz IIRC, for it and left the original blue dome behind. New York used blue for VFD but that wasn't going to be useful in NC.

Anyway, I stuck three large magnets onto the bottom and use it once in a while during bike-a-thons where I am running the course in a car as Support And Gear with the ham radio. Most often in an old Box Panther station wagon with the tactical call SagWag. Sometimes called Mac after the sergeant in Adam-12. :p

I just looked it up. 44660 is the model number.

Stan
:p

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tdi419

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.