Code 3 ArrowStik (10 head) and controller questions

TXDPSCJ

Aug 6, 2023
NJ
Ok, so I've acquired a retired 93 Texas SSP and I'm working on restoring it period correct.

Based on exhaustive research online, when these units were in-service the visible exterior warning equipment was:

- Jetsonic light bar (I don't know exact model #, can only go by online images).

- Code 3 ArrowStik (again, I don't know exact model, but from what I can see in images, it was a "10 head" AS, which was (8) halogens between (2) arrows).

The question I have (at the moment) is regarding the Code 3 AS and what would have been the proper interior controller for it. I have read quite a few older threads here on this site, but I'm not able to hit on the answer, only because in many threads that had posted pics of various C3 AS controllers, those threads are no longer displaying images (broken links due to age).

I've seen in threads on here that there is reference to a C3 AS control head that has (6) LED's on it, with a toggle/slider switch to the left of those LEDs and a "flash" button to the right of those LEDs. I've also seen reference to how that box could be wired to an 8-head or 10-head AS. Then I've also seen a similar controller box but the only visual difference I can see from online images is it has (8) LEDs instead of 6. I've also seen some mention this 8 LED box could be used with multiple C3 AS bars, but nothing specific to a 10-head AS.

What I need to know is, what is the proper control head used in the 90's with the original AS 10-head bar? Will the C3 AS box with the (8) LEDs on the front work as a controller for a 10-head bar? Or do I need the one with the (6) LEDs?

I need it to be period correct. The only image I can find of the interior of a then in-service TX SSP from 93 shows a minimal view of the dash equipment. I can see the C3 AS control box, I can make out the red/white labeling, the slider switch and the white flash button, but I cannot make out how many LED's are between the switch and button.

I also came across an old C3 AS ad from the late 80's or early 90's which shows C3 AS 10-head, but also shows with it the C3 control box that only has the (6) LED's on it.

I've read some of the wiring threads on here too regarding the subject matter - but I'm still confused as to which CS control box is correct or will work properly with a 10-head AS.

Was there a C3 AS control box with (10) LED's for the 10-head AS of the time period (80's-90's)?

Thanks in advance for any support!!

This is the only pic I can find online of the interior of an in-service 93 TX unit. In that image of the TX unit, to the right of the radar equipment, you can see the C3 AS control box mounted vertically. If anyone has ability to tell what C3 AS box that is, appreciate it! I don't have any photoshopping skills or software to make that image any better (clearer/closer/lighter) for me to tell.

IMG_4509.jpeg

This is the old C3 AS ad I referenced that shows the (6) LED control box.
IMG_4519.jpeg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I posted some relevant information in a thread entitled Help needed in wiring Code 3 PSE AS-8 LightStik earlier this year. I hope it helps!

I believe you have an older, positive-side switched ArrowStik. The ArrowStik controller you have is for a newer, ground-side switched ArrowStik. The correct controller for your ArrowStik looks like this:

The earlier version of the Arrowstik controller has 6 outlets and is positiv switched.
Rev.1:
arrowstik-control-box-1-rev1-04b-jpg.210299

Rev.2/3:
arrowstik-control-box-2-rev3-01b-jpg.210300

arrowstik-control-box-2-rev3-03a-jpg.210301

In addition to the front panel, the flash warning pattern also changed

as-pattern-jpg.210303

TXDPSCJ

Aug 6, 2023
NJ
I posted some relevant information in a thread entitled Help needed in wiring Code 3 PSE AS-8 LightStik earlier this year. I hope it helps!

@shues

Thanks for the reply - I did see that thread, but can you tell me what the difference is between the C3 AS control box that has the (6) LEDs on it and this one below that has (8) LEDs?

IMG_4524.jpeg

This is the one with (6) LEDs that is in your thread and also in the C3 AS ad I included above with the 10-head AS:

IMG_4520.jpeg

Also can you tell me what the actual C3 part numbers would be for either control box above?

Will the C3 AS (8) LED control box work with a 10-head Arrowstik, or is the (6) LED box the correct one? Was the (8) LED control box version a later version than the one with (6) LEDs?

I appreciate your help too - it's not an easy task trying to piece things together many years later...

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
but can you tell me what the difference is between the C3 AS control box that has the (6) LEDs on it and this one below that has (8) LEDs?
The main difference of these Controller is: The one with (6) LEDs has 6-Outputs and the one with (8) LEDs has 8-Outputs and 2 Inputs for turn signal left/right (outside lights on the AS could be used for turn signal).
ArrowStik Control Box #4 -01a.jpg
ArrowStik Control Box #4 -03a.jpg
ArrowStik Muster 8er.JPG
Will the C3 AS (8) LED control box work with a 10-head Arrowstik, or is the (6) LED box the correct one? ...
I think both could be used for the 10-head AS.
6-Outputs: If you assign 2 lights to each of the inner 4 outputs, then you get 10 lights.
8-Outputs: If you assign 2 lights on each of the inner 2 (the middle two) outputs, then you get 10 lights.

Although I would prefer the version with the (6) LEDs controller.
And when I look at the pictures on the AS sheet, C3 did the same.

Was the (8) LED control box version a later version than the one with (6) LEDs?
Both are the early (positiv switched) version! The later (negativ switched) version had only 5 outputs, whether 6 or 8 lights AS

Last edited:

TXDPSCJ

Aug 6, 2023
NJ
@Benno and @shues

Thank you very much to both of you for your knowledge, tech and detailed replies.

I just wanted to status update the thread too.

I was able to purchase a used Code 3 ArrowStik 6-LED controller that is in great condition considering it's 30 yrs old! It is the similar type seen in this below online pic, same as the one in the original C3 AS ad and as recommended:
1695248545449.jpeg

And what is great is, it's even date coded on the bottom from 1993!

So I now have the proper ArrowStik controller, just need to find a vintage 10-head ArrowStik!!

Thanks again for your help!

Reactions: Tony P

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.