power consumption for a 100 watt siren question

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
I know that there may be some variations from one manufacturer to another, and age/vintage versus modern.

My question is, what should a 100 watt siren draw at 12-14 volts DC?

In electrical terms, amps= wattage/voltage (good ole OHMs law). But I am not sure if that applies. Does the number "100" in 100 watt mean electrical load or is it an audio thing?

Bob

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Typically the 100 watts is audio output not 12vdc power consumption. The amp rating usually means 12vdc power consumption. The key to a good siren/speaker combination is to make sure the polarities are correct amd the ohms of the speaker matches the ohms of the siren head.

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
Federal Signal claims the Touchmaster sirens draw 7.5A when using one 100W speaker, 14A connected to two 100W speakers.

Whelen's HHS2200 siren draws 16A "max" when wired to two 100W speakers.

It's probably safe to assume most 100W sirens draw around 8A or around 16A at 200W. Its possible newer, more modern sirens may have more efficient digital amps that draw less current with similar output wattages.

Also keep in mind a siren tone is a pure signal (unlike music or voice recording), so the output wattage is constant, therefore the current draw is constant. Using the PA is a different story...

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
As a rule of thumb I've always estimated a 100 watt siren in operation to draw a minimum of 8 amps. I don't believe most sirens' PA function broadcast 100 watts so if I'm right it must draw even less amperage.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
People usually install fuses not more than 125% greater than the anticipated load. As stated a 200 w siren is around 16 amps so it is common to ue a 20 amp fuse.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.