Strobe light flash rates:

Aug 13, 2021
CT
I'm curious about how the flashes per minute on strobe beacons and lightbars particularly Whelen evolved from the late 60s through the peak of the Edge era. What I have noticed, and it's my main beef with earlier pre Edge strobe set ups is that they were fairly bright and noticeable but they had an off time that seemed a little too long in many cases. Also I'm curious how that would effect side warning, particularly in intersections. It seems that the off time may hurt. Hope to see educated responses that enlighten me on this topic.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Back in those days the industry considered 60-120 an effective flash rate, depending on mfg, number of heads etc. They tested and found that that range provided adequate eye retinal recovery for safety and effectiveness. Most ended up around 80-100.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Back in the early 70's, Whelen advertised the 1200 strobe to produce 100 fpm, the 5000 Commander to produce 120 fpm. All of their dual strobe systems produced 80 fpm per side for a total of 160 fpm.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cars center

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.