UPS insurance claim question.

blackknight22

Jul 10, 2014
Oklahoma
Has anyone made a claim on UPS for a damaged item recently ?

I purchased a item on this forum in mid November that arrived damaged. The seller had it shipped by UPS and it is still not resolved.

It has been 10 years since I've made a claim with UPS, but then it was resolved in about 3 weeks.

So is UPS slow to process a claim now ?

Thanks for any info !

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
No. In 20+ years of shipping lightbars I have had exactly one claim paid by any shipping service and that was USPS who paid out the insured amount for a lost item. USPS is actually not hard to deal with, they will pay the exact amount the item was insured for with pretty straight forward info if it is lost. The process is more involved for damage, but I once got a magazine replaced that they tore in half (the publisher may have just sent me a new one honestly).

The last time I tried was 2009 I think, so it has been a while. That said, with UPS I had switched to having UPS stores package items to avoid their go-to denial reason "insufficient customer supplied packaging". But even using UPS stores, UPS still refused to pay based on "insufficient customer packaging". The stores are independent businesses and their packaging is essentially still customer packaging. FedEx has also denied claims based on the packaging, which I could not refute since "packing in containers other than the OEM boxes" is a reason to deny. Really if you are shipping something in a box not specifically designed to ship it then they have reason to deny. Also, the shipper must file the claim so even if they pay the shipper gets the refund. Maybe UPS has gotten better and I have just given up, but when I used to try to file claims they were denied based on packaging. You can always try, worst case scenario you are out some time and frustration.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.