What light bar would my car have had? Minneapolis Fire Dept. 1988 Caprice

MN9C1

Mar 16, 2023
Minnesota
Hey all!

I wanted to make a specific post on what my 1988 Caprice 9C1 may have had. It belonged to the Minneapolis Fire Dept from new to 1998.

Here is the evidence so far:

3 position switches in the dash.

I also have these plastic pieces that were in the glovebox? Anyone recognize them? Could they have been a spacer between a light bar and the roof?

A handful of people have mentioned that the car could have had a Whelen Edge 9000, but those don’t have any rotating lights correct? It appears the car had rotating red lights as indicative of the switches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_5636.jpeg
    IMG_5636.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6780.jpeg
    IMG_6780.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6781.jpeg
    IMG_6781.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6776.jpeg
    IMG_6776.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6777.jpeg
    IMG_6777.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6778.jpeg
    IMG_6778.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
If anything, they probably followed the mantra of the Minneapolis/St. Paul police and ordered what they put on their cars' roofs in '88. I found these two sources and I'm guessing it'll be either the FedSig Model 24EAH AeroDynic that the St. Paul PD cars used (6 rotators, front & rear red flashers, alley lights), or the FedSig StreetHawk the Minneapolis cars used (lower level front - takedowns, clear alleys, amber rear flashers).

According to your dash swtiches, I'm betting it was the 24EAH AeroDynic.

Go from there and see what happens, man!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The switch labels include a "ROT. REDS" but Edge bars don't have rotators. If that switch controlled part of a lightbar, it couldn't have been an Edge.

On what side of the car was the hole in the roof drilled? Are there any witness marks on or in the roof from mounting feet? Are there any holes or deformities in the gutters from gutter hooks or straps?

MN9C1

Mar 16, 2023
Minnesota
The switch labels include a "ROT. REDS" but Edge bars don't have rotators. If that switch controlled part of a lightbar, it couldn't have been an Edge.

On what side of the car was the hole in the roof drilled? Are there any witness marks on or in the roof from mounting feet? Are there any holes or deformities in the gutters from gutter hooks or straps?

The only hole in the roof that I’m aware of currently is the radio antenna.

marks for the drip rail clamps are right above the B pillar. I also attached some holes I’ve found in the passenger side drip above the passenger door. IMG_6782.jpeg

MN9C1

Mar 16, 2023
Minnesota
If anything, they probably followed the mantra of the Minneapolis/St. Paul police and ordered what they put on their cars' roofs in '88. I found these two sources and I'm guessing it'll be either the FedSig Model 24EAH AeroDynic that the St. Paul PD cars used (6 rotators, front & rear red flashers, alley lights), or the FedSig StreetHawk the Minneapolis cars used (lower level front - takedowns, clear alleys, amber rear flashers).

According to your dash swtiches, I'm betting it was the 24EAH AeroDynic.

Go from there and see what happens, man!
I spoke with someone part of the MN fire engine club, who did these installs back in the day. He said that Minneapolis Fire did their own installs and modifications in house. But you are right, they certainly could have put orders in for equipment with the PD. Thanks for sharing these pictures! Trying to find pictures is hard! Still looking for a picture of this car in service yet…

Reactions: CrownVic97

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cars center

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.