Whelen UFM8 Traffic Advisory Question

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Just curious if anyone knows anything about traffic advisory possible by the UFM8, whether if it stays in its 2x2 switching, turning on 2 lights at a time versus the 1 at a time that I prefer, if any of that makes sense.

Here is the UFM8 PDF - https://www.whelen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/13496.pdf

I have a few of these sitting around to test and display LEDs. I must admit they are far more confusing than I had expected.

Do you mean how many lights illuminate at a time while in traffic advisor mode? Once it is in traffic advisor "pattern" the switching just controls the functions of L, R, and center out. I don't think the control wires behave "normally" when in traffic advisor pattern. The flasher considers "traffic advisor" to be a pattern and it is controlled by control wires 1, 2, and 3.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
So I hooked up a traffic advisor to one of my UFM8s I have sitting around that I have only used as a flasher. I have to say as a traffic arrow it was pretty underwhelming. This clearly isn't meant to be a traffic advisor control.

Once you scroll to the last pattern by advancing through with scanlock you get to "traffic advisor pattern", which is a mode more than a pattern. It gives you basic arrow functions using all 8 lamps. Once you are in traffic advisor pattern the wires do what they say. You have a control wire for left, right, combining the directions makes center out and there is a flash function. That leaves an unused control wire, Control wire number 4, it does nothing. Also of note is that if your traffic advisor has arrow shaped ends you can't disable the leading end and it looks odd starting from an arrow (I know these aren't common anymore). There is only one "pattern" of traffic arrow, it's a 2 or 3 lamp rapid chase with triple flash at the end lamp.

If this flasher had the ability to save several patterns it would be decent. You could flip between warning and traffic arrow. As it stands this is a "pick a pattern and keep it" design, and the arrow function is considered a pattern, and it isn't a great one. The only advantage is that there is no control head. So if you wanted a switch only based design this would be an option.

I should have done a right or left arrow when I had the arrow shaped end lamps to show that all 8 heads still activate. Either way here is a basic idea of what it looks like with 8 heads and 6 (connecting the end lamps to two outputs). The extra dwell time on the first light in the series is because of double connecting the end lamps to make up for the 6 head bar.

Last edited:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'm going to resurrect this old thread to add a small complaint I have. Most traffic advisors are set up such that the left and right arrow activated together makes a center out pattern. In that case, usually the warning flash is its own wire. On this flasher in order to get center out you have to combine the wire for Right Arrow and Flash. That makes the standard switch arrangement not work. Now you can't use a button for left and a button for right and press them at the same time to make center out. I'm not sure why you would want to combine one of the arrow directions with the flash function in order to make center out. It seems like a really weird switching arrangement. Obviously this flasher wasn't intended to be a traffic advisor as it's primary function, but it just seems like a strange switching combination that could have been done in the normal fashion.
Screenshot_20240204-144851.png

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
I'm going to resurrect this old thread to add a small complaint I have. Most traffic advisors are set up such that the left and right arrow activated together makes a center out pattern. In that case, usually the warning flash is its own wire. On this flasher in order to get center out you have to combine the wire for Right Arrow and Flash. That makes the standard switch arrangement not work. Now you can't use a button for left and a button for right and press them at the same time to make center out. I'm not sure why you would want to combine one of the arrow directions with the flash function in order to make center out. It seems like a really weird switching arrangement. Obviously this flasher wasn't intended to be a traffic advisor as it's primary function, but it just seems like a strange switching combination that could have been done in the normal fashion.
I didn't know that. May have to use a SL for my next project.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I didn't know that. May have to use a SL for my next project.
It's bizarre honestly. I can't figure out why they made that choice. I know it's not an official standard, but Left plus Right equals Center Out is darn near the default for "non-control box based" traffic advisors. This doesn't really bother me since I am using it for a display, but if I were using it in an install it would bug me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.