Help with Federal Signal Smart Siren SS2000

Bbeja81689

Jul 10, 2013
New jersey
Good evening,

I recently installed a fed sig smart siren. Everything was working perfectly fine, no issues whatsoever. Recently, the inline fuse that goes to the wiring harness keeps tripping. The only wires connected from the harness are the hot, ground and 2 speaker wires. I have a 20a fuse as suggest by the install manual. The main hot feed from the battery (resetable 50a fuse) as required from the manual does not trip. Also, I am only running maybe 10 led lights which have minimum draw, so I doubt it could be an amperage overload, but anything is possible.

I'm trying to figure out if there is an internal fault in the unit and/or how I can self diagnose what the issue could be. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
How many speakers are you running?

When/how is the fuse tripping?

These commonly have grounding issues, so that’s usually where I start is ensuring all your grounds are well done.
Seth

Bbeja81689

Jul 10, 2013
New jersey
How many speakers are you running?

When/how is the fuse tripping?

These commonly have grounding issues, so that’s usually where I start is ensuring all your grounds are well done.
Seth
Good morning and thank you for the reply. I'm only running 1-100 watt speaker. App of the grounds were secured very tightly. I have the ground coming right off the vehicle battery. Unless going to the frame would be more sufficient?

The way I had it wired is that I have the main resetable fuse feeding a 12v bus bar. I have the harness connected directly to that, giving my unit power all the time (I know, it's supposed to be off a 12v ignition source but haven that the time to run cable to the engine compartment). So when I immediately close the main breaker, the inline fuse to the harness can be heard popping.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.