MX7000 wiring issues

Sentinel1981

Dec 14, 2023
United States
Hey gang, I finally got into the 4 mx 7000 bars I recently acquired, three 48" and one 52". On the first one I dug into, I noticed that several wires are very brittle, with one showing copper, and the bundle is very short. Obviously, it would be smart to replace the wires. I rewired my classic car, so I thought to myself would it be wise to rewire the whole bar? I know the correct gauge wire would need to be used, but has anyone done anything like that on these bars? I'm curious cause I would be replacing all of it, not just the brittle ones. I don't know if that would cause any issues in the future. Probably changing some rotator motors too.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
MX bars are known to have that problem. Especially if the bar(s) were outside 24-7.

Ask around in the wanted section. You might be able to score a full wiring harness for cheaper than building your own. Or PM me, I have 30 bars in my shed with full harnesses.

Reactions: Pete L.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Like Sparky said, the MX bars with long term sun exposure had the crispy wire problem. Most of the ones I dug into back then were prone to that.
If Sparky can fix you up with harnesses, you'll find he's great to deal with.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.